Hi:
I've been having problems with my PC reading discs. It will read CD's I've burned as backups, and Installation CD's from programs, but it will not read discs from Imagine FX (a magazine I subcribe to). It also will not open or format new blank CD's. I've loaded the Imagine FX disc onto my sister's computer and it opens up fine so I don't think it's a problem with their discs.
Ive heard people suggest checking my device manager and i can't find where that is. I don't know if it's a driver problem either (I figured it wasn't since it reads some discs). I'm at a loss.
Right click my computer and hit properties, then click on the hardware tab. Select device manager.
Alternatively, you can go to start->run->devmgmt.msc
wng
Thanks wng! The device manager states the device (Torisan CD Rom CDR_S112) is working (I clicked on troubleshoot and looked for possible updates), but still no change.
Long shot……. Is the disk from Imagine FX possibly a DVD?
I don't know what you mean about, won't open or format a blank CD.
No need to "format" a blank disk.
Open your burning program and follow its procedure.
Does it hang before beginning the burn?
Does it show "insert the correct disk" type of error?
and if this is the unit you are referring to:
Torisan CD Rom CDR_S112
it is only a reader, and won't be formating or writing.
Hi Dough:
Embarassed for 2 reasons. The Imagine FX is a DVD Rom, and I don't have a burner so myabe thats why nothing happens when I insert a blank CD Rom. Guess I have shopping to do. Actually I shouldn't bother trying to fix up this computer since I'm planning to buy a new one. Thanks for helping
Hi cwpto,
And thanks for responding. It always helps other Members when the final solution is disclosed.
I can identify with being embarassed because it happens to me too.
The simple things are often overlooked.
For instance:
Problems with no Sound, when the sound controller is "muted" or the speaker power supply isn't plugged in.
I'm glad you decided to visit TomCoyote and hope you will continue participating both with your learning and your helping when you have a chance.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI