This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to get into web site

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi! I am having problems logging in to certain web sites. I use XP Pro and IE6. When I get to the page I wish to log into, I fill in my user name and password, press login and nothing happens. I see the little box on the bottom of IE fill in with it's little green squares and then I just get sent back to the login page. I have tried shutting all open programs including my AV down but get the same results. Any suggestions? Jerry
Something I would try first is to delete all temp files…
Close all windows and programs, then:
Clean out all the temporary files and cookies on your system. Go to Start > Run and enter: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Check these three boxes and then press ok to remove: Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin
Also, go to Start > Find/search > Files or folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit > select all -> File > delete
Then use "Start > Run" and type in "%temp%" (without the quotes). Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder (use "Edit > Select All", press "Delete", click "Yes").

Another free utility that deletes temp files that I use myself is CleanUp! by Steven R. Gould
How to use CleanUp!

CleanUp! by Steven R. Gould
Set options on standard….
And if you are clearing your tmp(s) manually you can also clear your Java Cache too. If the page requires a login, it may also be requiring an ActiveX. You may have downloaded and installed the ActiveX previously but it could become corrupt. If you clear your Java Cache, then all the ActiveX routines are dumped, and Web pages will ask you to download and install a fresh copy of the ActiveX. Not a bad idea to do this on a fairly regular basis. Best Regards
I used the cleanmgr. The %temp% suggestion did nothing for me. The CleanUp program warnings scared the hello out of me and I did not install or use it. I have no idea of how to clean out my "Jave Cache" and I still can't open the web page I talked about.
To clean out the Java cache……go to your control panel and look for the Java icon….
double click……..now look for the Delete temp. files button……then click on OK.

What warnings did you see on the CleanUp! program?….This is something I use myself and have had no problems with it.
Just curious.
The warnings I spoke of are right on the download page. I just didn't care for them. I do use a similar program called CCleaner which I do have faith in. Thanks for the help on how to clean Java. Finally, I found out that my problem must be a quirk in my own IE program. I downloaded Firefox and had no problem in accessing the site I was trying to get to. So, for all practical purposes, this matter is closed. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Hi Wideejay, Glad you are being successful with using FireFox. I heartily support using Firefox as an alternate browser to IE. However, I'd still recommend that you continue to be mindful of problems associated with IE. I'll offer a "for instance". My Son is an online gamer. For a while he was ignoring problems that had cropped up with his IE. It was "easy" to ignore the IE problems, because he prefers Firefox, and his gaming does not directly depend upon IE since he connects directly through the game's own utility to their server. Eventually though, he found his gaming performance "lagging" and could not explain the behavior since he had no concerns about either his gaming connection or his FireFox and IM utilities. Unfortunately, ignoring the accumulating problems in IE led to major changes on his system which were most evident in the "dissappearance" of IE from his machines ordinary icon shortcuts, and even from the listing in Control Panel Add/Remove. IE was still on his machine but quite corrupted. A few simple Anti-Spyware/AntiVirus scans took care of the problem and even his HJT log is clean now. So, what to do in your case? I'd sure go ahead and clear your Java Cache, and run some online scans. I'd recommend that you continue getting all the MS updates. I'd recommend that you continue to update and use your onboard security utilities. If no problems are identified, then you have the problem fixed. If some problems do surface, then I'm sure folks here at TC would be glad to hear from you and offer assistance as needed. It was an annoyance to my Son to have to guard against problems associated with IE since he thought he wasn't using it. But IE, being embedded in the Operating System, continues to influence the overall performance of any machine running MS operating systems. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI