Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unable to get into web site

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wideejay

Wideejay

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi! I am having problems logging in to certain web sites. I use XP Pro and IE6. When I get to the page I wish to log into, I fill in my user name and password, press login and nothing happens. I see the little box on the bottom of IE fill in with it's little green squares and then I just get sent back to the login page. I have tried shutting all open programs including my AV down but get the same results. Any suggestions? Jerry

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

Something I would try first is to delete all temp files...
Close all windows and programs, then:
Clean out all the temporary files and cookies on your system. Go to Start > Run and enter: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Check these three boxes and then press ok to remove: Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin
Also, go to Start > Find/search > Files or folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit > select all -> File > delete
Then use "Start > Run" and type in "%temp%" (without the quotes). Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder (use "Edit > Select All", press "Delete", click "Yes").

Another free utility that deletes temp files that I use myself is CleanUp! by Steven R. Gould
How to use CleanUp!

CleanUp! by Steven R. Gould
Set options on standard....

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

And if you are clearing your tmp(s) manually you can also clear your Java Cache too. If the page requires a login, it may also be requiring an ActiveX. You may have downloaded and installed the ActiveX previously but it could become corrupt. If you clear your Java Cache, then all the ActiveX routines are dumped, and Web pages will ask you to download and install a fresh copy of the ActiveX. Not a bad idea to do this on a fairly regular basis. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 Wideejay

Wideejay

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

I used the cleanmgr. The %temp% suggestion did nothing for me. The CleanUp program warnings scared the hello out of me and I did not install or use it. I have no idea of how to clean out my "Jave Cache" and I still can't open the web page I talked about.

#5 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

To clean out the Java cache......go to your control panel and look for the Java icon....
double click........now look for the Delete temp. files button......then click on OK.

What warnings did you see on the CleanUp! program?....This is something I use myself and have had no problems with it.
Just curious.

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??

#6 Wideejay

Wideejay

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

The warnings I spoke of are right on the download page. I just didn't care for them. I do use a similar program called CCleaner which I do have faith in. Thanks for the help on how to clean Java. Finally, I found out that my problem must be a quirk in my own IE program. I downloaded Firefox and had no problem in accessing the site I was trying to get to. So, for all practical purposes, this matter is closed. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

#7 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

Hi Wideejay, Glad you are being successful with using FireFox. I heartily support using Firefox as an alternate browser to IE. However, I'd still recommend that you continue to be mindful of problems associated with IE. I'll offer a "for instance". My Son is an online gamer. For a while he was ignoring problems that had cropped up with his IE. It was "easy" to ignore the IE problems, because he prefers Firefox, and his gaming does not directly depend upon IE since he connects directly through the game's own utility to their server. Eventually though, he found his gaming performance "lagging" and could not explain the behavior since he had no concerns about either his gaming connection or his FireFox and IM utilities. Unfortunately, ignoring the accumulating problems in IE led to major changes on his system which were most evident in the "dissappearance" of IE from his machines ordinary icon shortcuts, and even from the listing in Control Panel Add/Remove. IE was still on his machine but quite corrupted. A few simple Anti-Spyware/AntiVirus scans took care of the problem and even his HJT log is clean now. So, what to do in your case? I'd sure go ahead and clear your Java Cache, and run some online scans. I'd recommend that you continue getting all the MS updates. I'd recommend that you continue to update and use your onboard security utilities. If no problems are identified, then you have the problem fixed. If some problems do surface, then I'm sure folks here at TC would be glad to hear from you and offer assistance as needed. It was an annoyance to my Son to have to guard against problems associated with IE since he thought he wasn't using it. But IE, being embedded in the Operating System, continues to influence the overall performance of any machine running MS operating systems. Best Regards

Edited by dough, 26 April 2006 - 11:22 AM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.