This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

My PCPITSTOP TEST?

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=GJ6SPWCJYSJSMQ1Q
:( or :o or :thumbup:

Can an expert check my test please?

Perhaps Dough when he wakes up!

I posted this yesterday on the Pitstop forum - lots of lookers but no expert reporting back. I must say my computer is running very well and Dough was partly responsible for that, however it did say on Pitstop to test each month and that is why I am seeking a further report. I have defragged the C:\drive since the test.
Hi Tallin,

Nice to hear from you again. I'd like to see a fresh test from after you defragged, but no hurry or pressure.

You don't have to worry about that High Average Ping of 293, since you are communicating to PCPitstop here in the States, I think back in New York, but I'm not sure, and you're all the way over in AussieLand.
(Unless of course you are having slow internet connectivity in your more local area)
(You can get some help configuring your DSL settings at http://www.dslreports.com) - Use their utilities!

The following items do not have to be running at StartUp, and disabling them in MSCONFIG StartUp tab will probably get rid of that CPU load and cause your machine to run noticeably faster/more reliably.

C:\Program Files\D-Link\DSL-200\dslagent.exe DSL Agent
C:\Program Files\D-Link\DSL-200\dslstat.exe DSL Connection Status
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\GhostTray.exe Ghost
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe Ghost
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe Outlook Express
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe Windows Media Player
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe Ewido Control
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe Office XP speech
C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe


Your Windows Test Page indicates your machine "has batteries".
Go to Display Settings - Screen Savers - (energy saving) Settings - then select either "Always On" or "Desktop"

Other than the above and the Defrag, you're looking Good.
And I'm glad to hear from you. :)
Doug
[attachment removed]TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=GJ6SPWCJYSJSNA1Q

Hi Dough/Doug,

Your a champion! Did I post test to PCPitstop wrongly or was there just no one to analize it?
Above is new test after defragging yesterday - New test is still telling me to defrag, however new test did not mention the "poor performance of C:\drive" and I have not done a thing to it. By the way, diskeeper does do page files -
No slow internet connections which happen automatically as D-LInk is the only item in programs/startup. Doug, my computer is wonderful, runs like a lear jet, no complaints at all.

Now about the following:

C:\Program Files\D-Link\DSL-200\dslagent.exe DSL Agent
C:\Program Files\D-Link\DSL-200\dslstat.exe DSL Connection Status
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\GhostTray.exe Ghost
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe Ghost
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe Outlook Express
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe Windows Media Player
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe Ewido Control
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe Office XP speech
C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe

Anything to do with D-Link would affect my internet access wouldn't it - Now you are talking to a mug here, so pardon the lay question.

Ghost 10 has to run at startup or it would not do its incremental backups when system changes…right?

I use Mailwasher at your suggestion, so why is Outlook showing as I only open it when there is email?

If I take Media Player out of startup in msconfig, will it start when I want it?

I swop between Ewido, Counterspy and Winpatrol using one at a time, (you taught me that.) Doesn't at least one have to be in msconfig?

ctfmon.exe - It is recommended not to detete it by TUT. I have unchecked in msconfig, but it comes back each bootup.

Diskeeper - I cannot find in msconfig

I went to Display Setting etc, and the power shows "All Ways on" You asked me to do that before and I did!!
They would be my UPS batteries.

It is 8.05pm Sunday with you, 1.05pm Monday with me, your not still working are you - Thanks again for all your help and it was certainly good to hear from you as I requested. :D

Hi Tallin,
(You can get some help configuring your DSL settings at http://www.dslreports.com) - Use their utilities!

Doug


Hmmmm. Seems to not work from here either.
OH!!! My Bad…. I included a… ) … at the end of the URL instead of an ….. / …. Sorry.
http://www.dslreports.com/

I'm heading for bed, but have some additional recommendations and possibly an answer about the discrepancy you are finding in the Defragmentation report.

I'll get a post out tomorrow. :)
I certainly cannot argue against incremental backups!
So many users get into difficulty, and then they wail and moan about losing their data because they hadn't done a backup for a long time. Still, unless you are constantly creating unreplaceable critical data, you may get some performance benefit from using regular but manual backups. Definitely a user-choice decision.
(but I don't know anybody other that stock-market traders who keep Ghost active in the background :) )

Even if you take Windows Media Player out of the StartUp menu, it will "open" when either you "click" on it to listen or view media, or when you click on a viewable item on a web page. Definitely an easy decision to remove it from StartUp and recover some CPU cycles.

Your Outlook "is" running. And it is a big resource consumer. Did you have an Outlook window open when you ran the Pit Test?

****Or is it? Hmmmmm. Take a look at this item:
ccApp This is Norton Antivirus Email scanning tool. That "could" be signalling the Outlook as loaded.
I had thought you already uninstalled Norton.
You can disable this item, since your AVG is already monitoring Email and protecting you.
** and while you're at it… Let upload this file to the Jotti Anti-Virus scan. "ccApp" is also a registered Spyware from Ad-Click that can masquarade as the Norton file.
Go Here:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/
and upload the ccApp file. You can browse for it using Jotti's upload utility.
Jotti will examine ccApp with 14 separate anti-malware tools to determine if it is safe or malware.
If it is malware, you can probably get rid of it with a simple run of Ewido, or CounterSpy or Spybot.

About "uninstalling Norton":
Having the ccApp Norton item running, may actually cause a conflict with AVG. Disable it. Then go to Add/Remove to make sure you've removed all of Norton. Then go to Windows Explorer C:\Program files and delete any fragments/remnants of Norton Antivirus or Suite that might remain. Careful not to Uninstall Ghost!!! If necessary, go to the Symantec site to download and use the "uninstall tool" that is appropriate to your version of Norton.
Use care!
And even post back with a separate topic to gather information about how to best remove Norton.
"Juliet" is very familiar with Norton, and I would ask her about the correct steps. I have done so myself.

As to Diskeeper, if you set it up to be running in the background (not recommended by me) then you would see it in StartUp. So apparently you've got an Icon that you can click when you want to defrag. That's how I use it. Keep Diskkeeper out of StartUp.

Thanks for the heads-up about the UPS batteries. I hadn't thought of that, or I forgot if you told me about it before.

WinPatrol (a "low impact camper) is just fine running in StartUp. (Recommended) You'll see "Scotty" the terrier watchdog inserted into your TaskBar near your Clock. Scotty will alert you if any program (good or bad) tries to install itself, or change your home page. You can easily click your decision to allow or deny. Keep WinPatrol in StartUp. (or in your case, put it back)

In my opinion, neither Ewido nor Counterspy need to be run at StartUp. Both are excellent for running scans and removing items when you do get a problem, but they are each fairly resource intensive.

If you have SpywareBlaster installed and updated, and have your Windows XP regularly updated, then I don't see any reason to have any anti-spyware utility active in StartUp. (Now you can prove me wrong, by surfing to malicious websites or clicking on AIM advertisement links, or clicking on links in your Email…. But I think you already know not to do that.) You also have Ad-Aware SE Personal v1.06 and Spybot Search & Destroy installed and updated?

Here's what I do.
After an intensive session on the internet, I finish up by updating and running one of the four:
Ewido
CounterSpy
Ad-Aware
Spybot

On the second day of intensive internet activity, I update and run the second one in my list.
On the third day…. I update and run the third protective utility
and on the Fourth…. the fourth.
Then back to the first.
By rotating through this type schedule I keep all of my utilities Up to Date on a regular basis, and benefit from running the various types of scan engines and known databases that each company produces.

Once Weekly I run an AVG full scan, though you can select to have it run automatically if you prefer.

Now about the other "small" items in StartUp.
(Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of running a very skinny machine. The less running, the better.)

SisUSBrg…. is a patch that would assist your SiS video card handle any obscure USB devices you may have installed. More than likely the patch is already in place and working for you, and the StartUp item is just a left-over. Recommend: Disable SiSUSBrg. If you notice any problems with USB devices (less than rapid fire clicking in a first-person shooter game for instance) in the future you can always Enable it again with no harm done.

LTMSG is a utilit used by Lucent Technologies (dial-up modems) that allows the user to accept incoming phone calls and place the modem "on hold". You're using DSL so you can Disable this device.

DslStat - is simply a monitor that "watches" your DSL connection and may report out data speed of connection. I'd Disable it.

DslAgent is a feature of D-link to keep your DSL connection "always on". It's a harmless feature, but probably also useless if you use the PPOE connection utility to "sign in" with your username and password, or even if your modem is set to a LAN as always on. Turn it off and see if it makes any difference. You can always Enable it later if you prefer.

D-Link PPOE AU… Is a 'patch" that D-link gives to everybody in Australia. It is a "firmware" patch, so you've already installed and are already operating on it. Disabling the item in StartUp won't have any effect on the firmware you already installed. Again, you can always go back and Enable it if you prefer.

For these Four above, if you find something doesn't work the way you want it after disabling one of these optional items, just re-Enable it. No harm/No Foul.

Now for:
ctfmon.exe You will not be able to remove this item permanently from StartUp, and if you somehow went through the complicated process of actually extracting it from StartUp, you would "harm" your Windows Office utilities, which would no longer function as expected.

Big However, ctfmon.exe is the Operating Systems utility to interact with Voice Activated Typing, or other "special" data imput/output that is contained in various third-party software ("Dragon Speak" is one I think). The MicroSoft utility is called "Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar" and you just don't need it unless you want to make your WinWord type for you when you speak into your microphone, or read documents back to you through your speakers.
Here's the MS Knowledge Base article about How to disable this feature (recommended)
ctfmon.exe will remain but "Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar" will be gone and your machine will be happier. (Recommended)
(unless you want Microsoft Office to talk to you)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599 (follow the instructions appropriate to your version of Windows)/


A few parting comments:

In XP you can "assign priviledges" to various user accounts.
Accounts can be either "limited user account" or "Computer Administrator Account"
If you are the only username, then you are an Administrator.

This is NOT GOOD to be casually surfing the Internet as Administrator.
Please consider running your machine from a "limited privilege user account".
Why
Well, in a "limited" account you do not have access to System Files, nor can you install most programs.
Therefore, when you are surfing while logged in as a "limited user", any malware will not have "privilege" to install or access to the System Files".
When you want to install an important update or download and install a new program, just "switch user logins" to Administrator, and do the download or install.
This is one of the single best things you can do to improve your machine's security!

About Executive Software/ Diskkeeper Defrag. I like it, I've used it. I'm now moving away from it.
Why.
Because the free O&O Defrag does a better job.
http://www.gold-software.com/download6596.html

I know you paid money for Diskkeeper, and like it. I wouldn't throw it out just yet, but please know that their is a free alternative that is better.
If you ever decide to pay money for a Defrag tool … The best is VOPT
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vopt_XP_d671.html


OK, that's all for now.
Best Regards
Doug
Can I jump in for just a second? :P

Hi talin, your Java is outdated:
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_06 Sun Microsystems, Inc. Feb 14, 2005
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03

Updating Java:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the
    Software icon > add/remove programs.
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE
    Runtime Environment…. )

    It should have this icon next to it:
    [external image: Posted Image]
    Select it and click Remove.
  • Then Download and install the newest version from here:http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
You can always count on Jacee to find the important stuff. Yep, I strolled right past the outdated Java without paying attention to it. Thanks Jacee. I learn from you all the time! :) Doug
Hi Doug and Jacee, :wavey:

My goodness, I have got some work to do.

Thanks Doug for your post, marvellous -
Jacee your part is easy to do, will do it now and get back to you Doug on anwers to all the others.
I have to tell you in this post however, I have NEVER HAD NORTONS ANTIVIRUS. it does not show in Add and Remove either, only Nortons Ghost 10. Ad -Aware is also not on this machine, it does not show in Add and Remove. Actually I did download it, but uninstalled as it will not update with my proxy server. Checked 'My Computer' for remnants of Ad-Aware, but there are none. Also I have ADSL, not DSL. (Is there a difference) In the PCPitstop test there is nowhere to sellect ADSL
You guys are great, just covering the bare necessities in this post.

I will go through your post very slowly Doug and get back to you with answers to the other part of it
Hi Guys, I have downloaded to my desktop the new Java version 5.0.60.5 237kb and found the following instructions to install etc "This process downloads an IFTW (Install From The Web) executable program file (e.g., jre-1_5_0_(version)-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe, appx. 237KB size) and requires minimum user intervention. When you run this program, it fetches all the required files from the web. Hence you must remain connected to the Internet during the installation." "However my question is do I delete all four programs listed as follows from Add & Remove first? 1)J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 4 118MB 2)J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 6 119MB 3)JAVA 2 RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT SEv14.2_03 107MB 4)JAVA 2 RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT SEv14.2_06 108MB The first two have java icons just like you put in your post Jacee The last two have computer file icons. Sorry Jacee, Doug knows I am a beginner, but you maynot - Thanks and look forward to your help.
I will answer your post as it came in, para by para -

"(but I don't know anybody other that stock-market traders who keep Ghost active in the background)"
I am not much of a stockmarket trader, however I like my backup system.

Would you please tell me the abbreviation for Windows Media Player and I will take it out of startup in msconfig.

No, I had nothing running when I did the final PCPitstop test, could you give me the abbreviation for OE in mxconfig/start please? I have a OE icon in my task bar, I only open OE when I want my emails and when it is closed (which is almost all the time now) it does not show in Task Manager/applications.

ccApp is no longer in msconfig/startup

As mentioned in my earlier brief post to you and Jacee, I have never had Nortons Anti-virus. Only Nortons Ghost 10 shows in "MY COMPUTER"

I had no luck with Jotti website to upload ccApp It said it was busy. I still have it trying!

Diskeeper is now on "Manual" I have taken yours and "Champion Munchers" advice and downloaded and installed O & O defrager. Run it, both diskeeper and O & O are on manual in Services. Do you recommend uninstalling Diskeeper Doug? Can it stay there on manual doing no harm? If so how do I find and run Windows Defrager that came with XP/SP2 ?

Winpatrol is back in Quick Launch therefore back in msconfig/start -Ewido and Counterspy are on manual in services….okay?

Yes 'spyblaster' is installed and updated daily, and all windows updates are automatically done through Microsoft updates.

I have the following all on manual now:

a-Squared
Spybot search and destroy
Ewido
Counterspy
CWShredderRegcleaner
Spyblaster

Regseeker
Registery fix
Reg Cleaner

CC Cleaner
Cleanup

Thanks for telling me what you do, I do more or less the same, always update before running whatever one I choose. Tell me how often should I clear my Internet Temp Folder and Cookies? that is a bind as it takes my World Clock settings away when I delete internet cookies. A few other things also I am not game to tell you about!

ctfmon.exe I have had a go at before, can't do, as the options that suggest deletion don't show in my
Microsoft Works…I will have another look at that as you have given me more details this time……thanks

I promise I will surf the net as a 'limited user' from now on.

I will go though and take out all the items you have suggested, one by one and repoot. ccApp is no longer there, I have rebooted and all is well.

Thanks Doug once again, will get back after all have been proven, again thanks
CC App The process CC App (ccApp.exe) stands for "common client application" and is used in conjunction with a number of Symantec Norton programs.
If Norton Ghost is left in the startup menu …….I would think ccApp would be used on demand…..
But if you see problems after this item is removed…….Select and place back into the startups.

2)J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 6 119MB <– this is the version you just downloaded, keep it! You can uninstall all others via Add/Remove Programs

2)J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 6 119MB <– this is the version you just downloaded, keep it! You can uninstall all others via Add/Remove Programs


I am sorry I do not understand you Jacee, there are four Java items already in Add and Remove, (attachment enclosed) the new download is on my desktop (attachment enclosed & uninstalled at this time) is only 237KB. Please read my post again re Java - I will quote it here:

However my question is, do I delete all four programs listed as follows from Add & Remove first? Before installing the 237kb download on the desktop?

1)J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 4 118MB
2)J2SE RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT 5.0 UPDATE 6 119MB
3)JAVA 2 RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT SEv14.2_03 107MB
4)JAVA 2 RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT SEv14.2_06 108MB

I fail to understand that my java is out of date as you refer to #2 above as being the update? As before stated, I am a beginner so need the above question answered before I feel confident to change anything? Thank you and do you know your forum has/had a problem and would not load for some time. I tested all my other important websites and they loaded without problems. My time of writing this to post when your site returns is between 12.00 noon to 4pm your time. Thanks Jacee, you know I appreciate all the help given.

Later

As a test I ran the java download on the desktop and 'Install Wizard' told me I already have that version installed. Now my question is, do you want me to uninstall #1, #3, & #4 from Add and Remove? If #2 is the update, why was I told in the first place "my Java was out of date"?

Thankfully your forum is now up and running again at 3.51pm your time

CC App The process CC App (ccApp.exe) stands for "common client application" and is used in conjunction with a number of Symantec Norton programs.
If Norton Ghost is left in the startup menu …….I would think ccApp would be used on demand…..
But if you see problems after this item is removed…….Select and place back into the startups.



Thank you Juliet for your post - I have taken (ccApp) out of msconfig/start rebooted and all seems fine. I see Ghost 10 working with an incremental backup as I write this so all is well I think. With Doughs help I am down to 8 items in msconfig/start and 35 in Task Manager from 55. Thanks for your help also, much appreciated.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI