My computer seems to under performing in a couple of errors according to my PCPitstop test. My PC Pitstop Test Results
Is it time to start thinking about buying a new computer?
Hello,
You have way too many anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall applications installed!
However, you are most likely wanting to buy a new machine.
Here are my reasons for upgrading to a new, faster machine.
You are using Autocad, which can require a lot of processor use as well as disc space.
Your processor is not comparable to todays processors.
You are looking at the new machines with great desire!
If you are just wanting to clean this machine up I would recommend that you remove unnecessary programs (like RAMboost), that run at start and take up system resources.
You would also conceder a larger hard drive.
If you have the money for a new machine, go for it!
Have you ever used Intergraph microstation?
Hi
Yeah I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I have to buy a new computer so ill have to start saving.
I have only one AV, Firewall & three antispyware applications installed. Excluding the AV which applications should I un-install?
As for Intergraph microstation I have never used it. Am I right in assuming its a CAD application?
Regards
Leave the NOD32, spybot, and zone alarm.
What you need to look at are programs that run from start up.
It could be that you have all the security software running at the same time.
Click the start button.
Select RUN.
Type msconfig.
Select start up.
Take a screen shot of the items that are in the start up and post it here please.
If you can not take a screen shot, look at all of the items that have a green check mark and post the ones that you are not familiar with.
Intergraph microstation is like autocad, but more user friendly. It uses less command lines, and more mouse and digipad.
It is more expensive than Autocad, but I liked it much better (when I used both of them about 25 years ago).
You must use your own judgement and go in to add/remove programs, look for any programs that you do not use, or want and remove them.
I am going to have to research some of these.
Do you use VOIP for your telephone?
You do not need your DVD burning software running all the time, only when you want to use it, use your judgement on programs that are starting up that you do not use all of the time.
I will research these items and post back to you.
Do you use asian language? if not;
You can uncheck Admtray, Alaunch, imjpmig, imscinst, vVx1000, ntimui, qttask, and rambooster. (I recommend that you remove rambooster).
After this please download and run ATF Cleaner.
If you do use asian language do not uncheck imjpmig, and imscinst.
I would also recommend that you run anti virus scan and antispyware scan.
It is my opinion that any memory optimizer is not needed. You have 2 GB of ram, running XP so you should not need to optimize your RAM.
Hi HFCG
I don't think I use "Voice over Internet Protocol" with my phone because I'm unsure what it is?
Ram Booster is still listed under the start up tab in msconfig even though I have removed the application.
I really appreciate you taking the time to research these items for me
Thank You
Sorry if I am not supposed to post here but if you are looking into a new computer, heres a place to check.
Go to dell.com
Desktops < Home & Office < Dell Outlet
Dell Outlet is on the right where the navigation is, this is where they sell their refurbished computers. Yes, refurbished with I believe a 1 year warranty. I have multiple machines from Dell's refurbished and they are in great shape! I recommend going through that before you buy a whole brand new computer. These computers are from customers who purchased but returned them because they didnt need it anymore or because it had a problem and Dell fixed the problem and is now reselling the computer. They are like brand new computers. I highly recommend checking those out:)
Regards,
Nick Kitmitto
Cheers mate I might consider that when I come to buy a computer.
Edit Im after a laptop as opposed to a desktop but I cant find the refurbished ones. Have you got a link?