This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Repeated crashes when I'm online--could it be my modem driver?

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A short while ago I installed a new modem (I'm on dial-up) after lightning fried my old one. It's unlikely that any other damage was done to the computer, as it was only the modem that was not plugged into a surge protector (my silly fault). Soon after that, the computer got a virus which caused all sorts of trouble, but has now been cleared up by Ken over at MalWare Removal (thread here).

I'm now having trouble staying online: if I do more than the minimal amount online my computer reboots itself.

Ken at MalWare Removal has suggested I ask for help here, as he thinks that this could be connected to the new modem: apparently there's been some discussion on the internet from people who have a similar problem.

Most times the computer reboots I get asked twice to send an error message to MS: if I do, a web page opens up for each error, and here's the text that I read there:



Corrupted error report
Unfortunately, the error report you submitted is corrupted and cannot be analyzed. Corrupted error reports are rare. They can be caused by hardware or software problems, and they usually indicate a serious problem with your computer

Blue screen error caused by a device or driver
You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem



I'm also having trouble with MS Outlook: most times, when I start it, it freezes into a nearly blank white screen (just the top toolbar and the taskbar show). I have to use crtl-alt-del to shut it down. This can happen several times, once, or not at all–I haven't noticed any pattern to it.

I think that's all! I'm running Windows XP Pro, commonly use IE7 (although Ken has suggested I move over to Firefox), am not the most computer-literate of people, and need all the help that I can get–written in words of one syllable, to make sure that I can follow it.

Thanks in advance for any help that you give me.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't give much information about my computer. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Pentium 4 with 3.2GHz of something or other, and 2.5GB of RAM. It's about two years old. I have a PCI Soft Voice SoftRing Modem in it. According to my Device Driver the modem is working properly: the driver is version 7.60.0.0, driver provider is CXT, and it's dated 8/11/2006. Is that enough?

I'm also having trouble with MS Outlook: most times, when I start it, it freezes into a nearly blank white screen (just the top toolbar and the taskbar show). I have to use crtl-alt-del to shut it down. This can happen several times, once, or not at all–I haven't noticed any pattern to it.


If you have Office 2003 you can try the Inbox repair tool.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/…0210641033.aspx

As for the modem,

Did you look at the MFR's websit for a more current driver ? if they have one, install it and see if continues.

If there is not a more current driver, have you considered just getting a different modem, they are quite inexpensive if ordered from online retailers ?

at the VERY least, have you uninstalled the device; shut-down the PC; removed the modem; Start the PC to the desktop; Shut-down PC; Reinstall the modem; and finally boot normally and have it re-install the device ?

Tallon41
Tallon41, thanks for responding–I was beginning to think that no one would. I'm using Outlook 2000, so can't use that online tool: however, I'll have a look around MS's website and see if I can find one for my version, thank you. Onto the modem: yes, I've downloaded the most current driver from the website, uninstalled the old one, and reinstalled the new one, but still have the repeated crashes. Looks like I'll have to try a different modem. Unless you have any other ideas?
What is in the System Event viewer? right-click -My Computer-, the choose -Manage- when the "Computer Managment" window opens, expand -Event Viewer- click on system at the bottom and look for Red X's at the time of, or just preceeding a Restart. also to see if you are getting Blue Screen of Death….. right-click -My Computer-, the choose -Properties- When the "System Properties" window opens, choose the -Advanced- tab next, in the "Startup and Recovery" section at the bottom, click the -Settings- button. In the "system failure" section, UN-CHECK the "automatcally restart" box. click [OK] twice. then try and make it fail again. write down error code if you do get a Blue Screen Of Death. Tallon41
I've had a look at the System Event Viewer and there's something strange going on: there's one error listed for 30 August, but apart from that the most recent error was for 16 August–and it was only 29 August when I saw the one listed for 30 August. On top of that there are entries for October 2008, so it seems that the date settings on the computer must have gone awry in some way. I've checked that it's showing the right date now, so don't know what happened there. Hmmm. The computer just shut down without restarting, as I followed your instructions: the BSoD reported, TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN And under the heading, "Technical Information" there was this string of numbers: *** STOP: 0x00000012 (0x00000002, 0x8001003B, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I've put in all zeros there, as I wasn't sure if they would be zeros or capital letter "O"s. There was also advice on checking that all my drivers were up to date, which I've already done. Is that the information you needed, or have I missed out something important?
My computer has crashed again twice today: the first time I got exactly the same information on the blue screen as I detailed in my previous post, but the second time it read, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Technical information: * * * STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x4B4B4C8C, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB9AF7E98) * * * HSF_DPV.sys - Address B9AF7E98 base at B9A85000, Datestamp 45526f87 I don't know what it means, but it seems more significant to me than the previous error message!

I don't know what it means, but it seems more significant to me than the previous error message!


Actually the reverse is true for me. The 2nd one is your modem driver, but we already were aware of an issue with that.

The first one though, if it IS a device driver that caused it, has been known to be caused by Sound/Audio drivers.

Are you using and add-on card for Audio device, or the on-board Audio device ?

If an add-on, check their website for a dirver update.
[Also check the documentation to see if you need to install the software FIRST and then the card, or if the card goes in first(usually,) and THEN boot and insall software]
then uninstall the driver software in -add/remove programs, then shut-down
disconnect power cord,
remove sound card,
re-attach power cord, boot to desktop, wait a couple mins, then shut-down,
–follow the seps you did to install it previously –

if onboard audio

Reinstall drivers the motherboard MFRs website.

did you have a rootkit virus ?

If yes, then you may want to do the "chipset" drivers as well.

Tallon41

Are you using and add-on card for Audio device, or the on-board Audio device ?


I've got a couple of on-board sound-cards, which I used to use for Dragon Naturally Speaking; now I use it with a USB sound-pod, which doesn't need a driver as far as I know (at least, it didn't come with software): but one of the problems I've had is that my Dragon user files have corrupted, and need reinstalling.

I do also use a digital voice recorder sometimes, might this be causing trouble?

[Also check the documentation to see if you need to install the software FIRST and then the card, or if the card goes in first(usually,) and THEN boot and insall software]
then uninstall the driver software in -add/remove programs, then shut-down
disconnect power cord,
remove sound card,
re-attach power cord, boot to desktop, wait a couple mins, then shut-down,
–follow the seps you did to install it previously –

if onboard audio

Reinstall drivers the motherboard MFRs website.


Sorry to be so dense: should I do this for the digital recorder as well as the sound cards? I'm not sure, and don't want to make a silly mistake.

did you have a rootkit virus ?


I don't know! Again, sorry. I'm not too brilliant at all this. If you look at the thread that I linked to at the Malware Removal forums all the logs are there: all I did was follow instructions, I'm afraid. I can usually manage that!

If yes, then you may want to do the "chipset" drivers as well.


Out of my depth now. Completely. I am so sorry! Could you give simple directions for what I've got to do, or should I try to find a real, physical person to help me now?

Thanks for all your help. You're kind to put up with my horrible ineptitude.
I've just had a look at the various "sound, video and game controllers" entries in Device Manager, and there's one entry which caught my eye: "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device". When I look at Properties, I see that it's part of the modem: its location is given as "on PCI Soft Voice SoftRing Modem". Is this significant, or am I just wallowing around in things that confuse me again? Right, I'm off to dismantle the computer so I can take my sound-cards out. See you later.

I've got a couple of on-board sound-cards, which I used to use for Dragon Naturally Speaking; now I use it with a USB sound-pod, which doesn't need a driver as far as I know (at least, it didn't come with software): but one of the problems I've had is that my Dragon user files have corrupted, and need reinstalling.

A card added to your PC is NOT "on board" sound. On board sound have the jacks for the speakers up the tower near where the USB and Network connections are. An add-on sound card would have those jacks near the bottom of the tower.

Follow the instructions in previous post for reinstalling the sound drivers.

It would help if you could say what co. made your PC and what model it is. (if we ever need the the chipset drivers; or system info in general.)

download PCWizard
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php (section = Directions for use — Install it's a zip file.)
Create a folder in C:\Program Files\
called PCWizard.
Copy or Move the downloaded file to it. Then double-click on the file and expand it to that folder, (if you right-click on it, you MAY get an option to "extract here", if you do then choose that instead.)

open the file PC Wizard.exe ; on the main screen you should see a line that looks like :

Mainboard : Unspecified K8T800-8237


I do also use a digital voice recorder sometimes, might this be causing trouble?

only if it was actually plugged-in at the time of failure.

Sorry to be so dense: should I do this for the digital recorder as well as the sound cards? I'm not sure, and don't want to make a silly mistake.

I would just disconnect it until you have re-done the Sound drivers and tested it w/o the recorder plugged-in. If, after re-loading the Sound drivers the PC seems to be OK, then.

goto start….all programs….accessories….system tools….system restore, and create a Restore Point. Reboot

When back to the desktop, plugg in the recorder, and see how it goes. If it starts crashing again, then "yes" do as you did for the sound drivers.


I don't know! Again, sorry. I'm not too brilliant at all this. If you look at the thread that I linked to at the Malware Removal forums all the logs are there: all I did was follow instructions, I'm afraid. I can usually manage that!


Sorry, I missed that link ! You did not appear to have one.


Out of my depth now. Completely. I am so sorry! Could you give simple directions for what I've got to do, or should I try to find a real, physical person to help me now?

Perhaps if the sound / recorder driver reloads do not solve the issue….

Thanks for all your help. You're kind to put up with my horrible ineptitude.

No problem, you've been very patient !

Tallon41
I'm sorry for not getting back here for so long. My computer got so unstable that I couldn't connect to the internet long enough to do anything: each time I tried, it would just close down and give me those same error messages.

In the end I ignored the soundcards and removed the internal modem and now have a USB modem, and the problem of the repeated shutdowns disappeared.

I'm still left with a speed issue, though.

It's most apparent in IE and Outlook: if I have several windows open in IE then the computer will often freeze for a while if I try to click between tabs. Sometimes when I open Outlook the screen remains white, apart from the top and bottom toolbars, for several minutes before the program opens properly (this last problem was much mroe apparent with the old modem, though, and happened more frequently: changing modems has improved the situation, but not resolved it). When I use Word I also get frequent, if temporary, freezes, which last for a few seconds or a few minutes, especially when I'm cut-and-pasting from one window to another.

This wasn't happening before I had the virus attack (which was resolved over at Malware Removal, here: this computer has always seemed quite fast, and stable, to me, so this is a new development. In addition, since the virus attack I've been unable to use Dragon Naturally Speaking, and have to reinstall it.

Any ideas how I could stop the computer freezing like this, or if there's anything else that's sinister going on that I need to do something about?

Thank you!

Jane
Scan the Outlook .pst file for errors. You will first need to "show hidden files and folders." Open "my computer", maximize the window, then click the -tools- menu, then choose -folder options- when the "folder options" window opens, click the -view- tab. click the radio button for -show hidden files and folders", click [OK] next, click the -folders- button at the top. In the left pane, Double-click the drive containing the windows installation, ( usually c:.) navigate to this folder D:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033 The last folder "1033" is the language LCID (1033 is english–united states.) You will likely have only a single folder whatever the number inside the Mapi folder. open that folder, and locate the "scanpst.exe" file and double-click it, it will open a smaller window asking for the location of the .pst folder to be checked. click the -browse- button *IF* the default location was not changed, then navigate to : X:\Documents and Settings\XXusernameXX\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook where: x=windows drive letter. XXusenameXXr=The username of your account, (click the start button, and it should appear at the top of the start menu—"owner" is a default name issued.) the default file name is Outlook.pst Select it and start the test. see if it detects/fixes any errors. I've also seen systems that were so infected the registries needed to be defragged and compacted and Free Windows Registry Repair - to delete missing file references ect. I use AusLogics Registry Defrag is good. - to compact it Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI