This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

strange problem after moving "My Documents" folder

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. I recently partitioned my harddrive, and moved the"My Documents"folder from C: to F:, the new partition. My problem is, when i call up "My Documents" and, for example, delete something or rename a folder, i must first close the "My Documents" window and open it back up again before the changes are made(seen). HELP PLEASE!!! I am running Microsoft XP Media Center Edition with Sp2. Thanks.
Please go to start->run paste this in: regedit.exe /e c:\output.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\" It will create a new file called c:\output.txt Would you paste the contents of that file here? *That may contain sensitive information to you (probably your username that you log onto the computer with) If you would rather PM me with that information, that would be fine with me* wng
ok, here you are: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\] "Common AppData"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data" "Common Programs"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs" "Common Documents"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents" "Common Desktop"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Desktop" "Common Start Menu"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu" "CommonPictures"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Pictures" "CommonMusic"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Music" "CommonVideo"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\My Videos" "Common Favorites"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Favorites" "Common Startup"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup" "Common Templates"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Templates" "Common Administrative Tools"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Administrative Tools" "Personal"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\" any help?
Bingo :) What is the exact path of your new My documents? And the account you are logged in on is "owner" correct? wng
Yes, I am logged in as "owner". The exact path for My documents is: F:\Private\My Documents(F being the new partition). Any help?
go to start->run->regedit. Navigate here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders by expanding on the folders on the left side. When you get there, you should see Personal on the right hand pane. Double click on it, and change the value from C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\ to F:\\Private\\My Documents (double slashes are important) Click ok. Reboot and see if that helps. wng
Ok, everything works now(with single-slashes). Thank you VERY much for your help. WHILE I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION–another problem I noticed. When I go to turn off or reboot my computer, it takes forever, if at all, to shut off or reboot. I usually end up turning the power off(I know, I know). I've had this problem for quite awhile now. Being that the computer is always on, I've never given it much thought. But now It's starting to bother me. What can I do about this quirk? Thanks.
Sorry, but it did not help. I click on "restart", some of the background programs close like spybot and yahoo, but Macafee Security Center stays and the shutdown process more or less hangs there. Like I said, I have to turn the power off and on again to reboot. I installed that tool, but it made no change to the process. Now what?
Then it seems like the problem lies with mcaffee. YOu may need to reinstall the program, or talk with their customer support (although I wouldn't 'pay' for anything personally) wng

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI