One of my sons bought the game "Oblivion" a few weeks ago….had installation problems….
To make a long story short, I've finally heard from Bethesda Softworks. They say to run setup.exe from the disk…it won't let me.
Quote from email:
In some cases, you may need to manually remove Oblivion from the system.
Delete the following Registery keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{35CB6715-41F8-4F99-8881-6FC75BFO54BO}
Then delete the Oblivion folder from the hard drive, empty all temp folders, then reinstall the game.
When I do a Search on 'Oblivion', 12 files are found.
Can anybody help me with manual removal?
Thanks in advance.
Part 1
Copy the text in the following quote box into Notepad:
del C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.lnk
rd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion
rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Local Settings\Application Data\Oblivion
del C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion
rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Oblivion
del C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion
del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe
del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\OblivionLauncher.exe
del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion_default.ini
rd C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion
pause
Save it to your desktop as delme.bat
Copy the text in the following quote box into Notepad:
delme.bat DOS window says:
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
\Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.lnk
The system cannot find the file specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\
Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Loc
al Settings\Application Data\Oblivion
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My
Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My
Documents\My Games\Oblivion
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Loca
l Settings\Application Data\Oblivion
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My
Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My D
ocuments\My Games\Oblivion
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks
\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe
The system cannot find the file specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks
\Oblivion\OblivionLauncher.exe
The system cannot find the file specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks
\Oblivion\Oblivion_default.ini
The system cannot find the file specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\
Oblivion
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
I haven't done the delob.reg file yet…awaiting your answer.
Okay…ran delob.reg and tried to reinstall.
At first it gave the same "Your version of DLA can read files on this disc but you will not able to add to or edit them" message that it always did….clicked OK.
Then it starts installing….then up pops a box:
DLA has located files on your disc that are currently in use. To avoid possible data loss, save any changes to open files, close any open applications and retry this operation.
Box popped up under the first one:
Feature transfer error
Feature: Oblivion
Component: Oblivion
File: D:/data2.cab
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
So I backed out and tried to reinstall….and I got the "DLA has located files on your disc…." box…then a screen popped up, showed what Oblivion files are in my computer, I guess (I wasn't really paying attention to it, I'm trying to get teenagers out the door to get to work )…
Now what?
Did the drive make a "grinding sound" before giving this error?
Well, yeah…. …it did sound unusual….
I'll have Chris clean the disc tonight, and I'll try to reinstall tomorrow morning. He may end up buying another game because I'm 95% sure that he threw the receipt away ….
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help!
No, Chris hasn't decided what he wants to do yet. I think he's putting it off until Easter vacation.
Halfway tempted to call Bethsoft and give them a piece of my mind!!
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI