Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Manually removing software question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fonthill

fonthill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:46 AM

One of my sons bought the game "Oblivion" a few weeks ago....had installation problems.... To make a long story short, I've finally heard from Bethesda Softworks. They say to run setup.exe from the disk...it won't let me. Quote from email: In some cases, you may need to manually remove Oblivion from the system. Delete the following Registery keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{35CB6715-41F8-4F99-8881-6FC75BFO54BO} Then delete the Oblivion folder from the hard drive, empty all temp folders, then reinstall the game. When I do a Search on 'Oblivion', 12 files are found. Can anybody help me with manual removal? Thanks in advance.

Edited by fonthill, 07 April 2006 - 06:47 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

I've had similar problems a few times.... <_<

My Wife and Daughter had problems with "The SIMS" (I had to manually delete a few registry keys to get that to work when re-installing).

Then, when upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2006, I had to do the same thing.

Let's start here:

Please download/unzip this:

Registry Search by Bobbi Flekman

<Double-click> on regsearch.exe, and search for these:

Oblivion
35CB6715-41F8-4F99-8881-6FC75BFO54BO

It may take a while to run, so be patient. When finished, the search results will appear in your text editor,

Paste the contents of the results into your next post.

Can you post the results on your file searches for "oblivion"?
:unsure:
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Download Hijack This! My Website: UnSpyMe!

#3 fonthill

fonthill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

Wow, it's cool how Notepad pops up when RegSearch is through.... Here's what that said: REGEDIT4 ; Registry Search 2.0 by Bobbi Flekman © 2005 ; Version: 2.0.0.1 ; Results at 4/7/2006 11:12:50 AM for strings: ; 'oblivion' ; '35cb6715-41f8-4f99-8881-6fc75bfo54bo' ; Strings excluded from search: ; (None) ; Search in: ; Registry Keys Registry Values Registry Data ; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion] "Installed Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Bethesda Softworks\\Oblivion\\" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\1.00.0000] [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-233587859-2525875153-2585240132-1007\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603] "000"="Oblivion" [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-233587859-2525875153-2585240132-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\*] "h"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Carrie\\My Documents\\Files named Oblivion.fnd" [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-233587859-2525875153-2585240132-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\fnd] "a"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Carrie\\My Documents\\Files named Oblivion.fnd" [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-233587859-2525875153-2585240132-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion] ; End Of The Log... I can't seem to copy and paste my search results for Oblivion :rant2: on my computer! Okay, what's next?

Edited by fonthill, 07 April 2006 - 09:28 AM.

#4 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:00 AM

Looks like you only have one registry key to remove. :thumbup:

Let's see if we can get that file list....

Copy the text in the following quote box into Notepad:

cd c:\
dir oblivion*.* /s > files.txt
notepad files.txt

Save it to your desktop as ff.bat.

CLOSE NOTEPAD.

Now, <double-click> the ff.bat file on the desktop. A Notepad window will open up.

It may take a few minutes, so be patient.

Please paste it's contents into your next post.
:)
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#5 fonthill

fonthill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:20 AM

Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is 680D-9A81 Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks 03/24/2006 11:56 AM <DIR> Oblivion 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion 03/24/2006 11:56 AM 733 Oblivion.lnk 1 File(s) 733 bytes Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Local Settings\Application Data 03/24/2006 12:02 PM <DIR> Oblivion 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games 03/27/2006 12:17 PM <DIR> Oblivion 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion 03/27/2006 12:17 PM 12,778 Oblivion.ini 1 File(s) 12,778 bytes Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data 03/25/2006 05:54 PM <DIR> Oblivion 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Games 03/25/2006 05:54 PM <DIR> Oblivion 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion 03/25/2006 05:54 PM 12,778 Oblivion.ini 1 File(s) 12,778 bytes Directory of C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks 03/24/2006 11:56 AM <DIR> Oblivion 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion 02/28/2006 10:27 AM 7,158,784 Oblivion.exe 02/27/2006 11:15 AM 1,662,976 OblivionLauncher.exe 02/24/2006 11:14 AM 12,766 Oblivion_default.ini 3 File(s) 8,834,526 bytes Total Files Listed: 6 File(s) 8,860,815 bytes 6 Dir(s) 77,063,782,400 bytes free Wow, just wow B) ... Okay, what's next?

#6 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

Part 1

del C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.lnk
rd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion

rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Local Settings\Application Data\Oblivion

del C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Oblivion

del C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini
rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe
del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\OblivionLauncher.exe
del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion_default.ini
rd C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion
pause

Save it to your desktop as delme.bat

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion]

Save it to your desktop as delob.reg

Part 2

Now, <double-click> the delme.bat file on the desktop.

A DOS window will open up as these files/folders are being removed.

Let me know if any errors are displayed in the DOS window.

When these commands are complete, you'll get this message:

Press any key to continue . . .

Press the [SPACE] bar to close the DOS window.

If there were no errors, <double-click> the delob.reg file on the desktop.

You will receive a prompt similar to: "Do you wish to merge the information into the registry?".

Answer 'Yes' and wait for a message to appear similar to "Merged Successfully".

Reboot, and try to install the game.
:)

#7 fonthill

fonthill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

delme.bat DOS window says: C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Documents and Settings\All Users \Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.lnk The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ Start Menu\Programs\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Loc al Settings\Application Data\Oblivion The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Loca l Settings\Application Data\Oblivion The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My D ocuments\My Games\Oblivion The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks \Oblivion\Oblivion.exe The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks \Oblivion\OblivionLauncher.exe The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>del C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks \Oblivion\Oblivion_default.ini The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>rd C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\ Oblivion The system cannot find the file specified. The system cannot find the path specified. The system cannot find the path specified. C:\Documents and Settings\Carrie\Desktop>pause Press any key to continue . . . I haven't done the delob.reg file yet...awaiting your answer.

Edited by fonthill, 07 April 2006 - 08:34 PM.

#8 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

:oops:

OK... Let's follow the email instructions implicitly....

<double-click> the delob.reg file on the desktop & allow it to merge into the registry.

Delete this folder:

C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion <-- this folder

Reboot, and try to install the game.

#9 fonthill

fonthill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

Okay...ran delob.reg and tried to reinstall. At first it gave the same "Your version of DLA can read files on this disc but you will not able to add to or edit them" message that it always did....clicked OK. Then it starts installing....then up pops a box: DLA has located files on your disc that are currently in use. To avoid possible data loss, save any changes to open files, close any open applications and retry this operation. Box popped up under the first one: Feature transfer error Feature: Oblivion Component: Oblivion File: D:/data2.cab Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check) So I backed out and tried to reinstall....and I got the "DLA has located files on your disc...." box...then a screen popped up, showed what Oblivion files are in my computer, I guess (I wasn't really paying attention to it, I'm trying to get teenagers out the door to get to work :rant2: )... Now what?

#10 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hmmmm..... :scratch:

Maybe "not so good news"... :(

cyclic redundancy check

Might mean you have a bad CD/DVD...

Did the drive make a "grinding sound" before giving this error? :unsure:

See if the "Oblivion" folder you recently deleted is back again. If so, remove it.

Reboot.

Wipe off the CD/DVD. It might have something on it.

Then re-install the game. Or at least give it another go.

#11 fonthill

fonthill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:15 AM

Did the drive make a "grinding sound" before giving this error?

Well, yeah.... :unsure: ...it did sound unusual....

I'll have Chris clean the disc tonight, and I'll try to reinstall tomorrow morning. He may end up buying another game because I'm 95% sure that he threw the receipt away :wall:....

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help! :)

#12 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:10 AM

Just wondered if you'd made it to "OBLIVION" yet... :unsure:

#13 fonthill

fonthill

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

No, Chris hasn't decided what he wants to do yet. I think he's putting it off until Easter vacation. Halfway tempted to call Bethsoft and give them a piece of my mind!! :rant2: