This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Very annoying

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've had some problems with spyware, my email, IMing, etc., so after not being able to clean up my compter, I finally decided to wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows and my other software. Even though I have a clean install, I somehow ended up with some problems the very first day. I had svchostcs32 and autowxckn on my computer, and I think I've gotten rid of them completely. (I also had a couple others that AVG found, and got rid of, but the first two I mentioned I had to delete in the registry.)

I also have an annoying window that pops up on the screen when I first boot. It is about four and a half inches tall by six inches wide. It has a blue title bar that says Network Connections. I'm sure it's phony, although it looks like something Windows would generate. It started popping up maybe a week or two ago, and it came back with my reinstall of Windows, which was yesterday. In the box it says,

You (or a program) have requested information from components.viewpoint.com. Which connection do you want to use?

Then, in a Connections: box, it has my two Earthlink connections. Underneath that, a box I can check that says, Don't ask me again until the next time I log on. Then a Settings button, a Connect button, and a Cancel button. The Setting button takes you to a new Dial-up Preferences window where you have an autodial and callback tab.

Sometimes, instead of components.viewpoint.com, it has other addresses like test.chung.li or irc.love.witlog.com

I'm sure this is not legit, but I don't know how to stop it. Also, if I run msconfig, and look in the startup tab, there are only four items there. I know what three are, and they are legit. The other does not have a name or a command, but does have the same registry location. When I go there, there is the default entry, and the three others, so I don't know what that blank line is, unless that's the default for that current version\run location. I've been to very few websites (and I'm sure the ones I went to are safe), and reinstalled very little software at this point, and I think that window popped up the very first time I started Windows after the reinstallation of the software. Below is the HJT log - thanks for your help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:55:29 PM, on 2/23/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\win32ssr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\FastLane\IPClient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\MailClnt.exe
C:\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://start.earthlink.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://start.earthlink.net
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://start.earthlink.net/AL/Search
R3 - URLSearchHook: SrchHook Class - {44F9B173-041C-4825-A9B9-D914BD9DCBB3} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\ElnIE.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - ~CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: EarthLink ScamBlocker V2 - {15F4D456-5BAA-4076-8486-EECB38CD3E57} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\EScamBlk.dll
O2 - BHO: EarthLink PopUp Blocker V2 - {512ACF1B-64D9-4928-B382-A80556F28DB4} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\ElnkPuB.dll
O2 - BHO: Earthlink Protection BHO - {9579D574-D4D8-4335-9560-FE8641A013BD} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\ProtctIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Uninstall Legacy Earthlink Toolbar - {E713904C-DF05-4C79-BBAD-02DB923253BE} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\uninsttb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: EarthLink Toolbar - {C7768536-96F8-4001-B1A2-90EE21279187} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\Toolbar\Toolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [E6TaskPanel] "C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe" -winstart
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{E5D01C77-30E0-4E9D-9F7B-F434B4994F7F}: NameServer = 207.69.188.185 207.69.188.186
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: EarthLink Monitor Service (EarthLinkMonitor) - Boingo Wireless, Inc. - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\WENGINE\wmonitor.exe
O23 - Service: Mod Libary (modlb) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\modlb.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Service Hosts (ServiceHost) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\shost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Win32Sr - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\win32ssr.exe
hi MrAtoz,


you have some nasties on there, backdoor trojans, maybe a root kit. your computer has been compromised. you are also missing crticial window updates and patches

it has other addresses like test.chung.li or irc.love.witlog.com

those are irc channels, someone may have been all over your computer
—————————————
go here and run these two tools:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

f-secure backlight beta: click on the i accept to go to the download page:
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
—————————————————
run those and also update run avg.
go to windows update and get the critical patches.
it would be a good idea to wipe your hd again and start over

shelf life
Hi - Sorry for not getting back before now. I've been a bit ill the last few days. I am going to reformat my hard drive and re-install windows. Thanks for the help.
hi MrAtoz,

iam starting to feel the beginning of a cold or flu myself. ugh
the first thing after reformatting is to visit windows update and download install critical updates and patches.
xp has a auto update feature, turn it on.
next download install update AVG free version.
———————-
more info for you:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
occasionaly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

Also download, install and keep updated- Antivirus Software (and use only one):
Free for home users:
avast! 4 Home Edition Download
AVG free version 7.0
AntiVir Personal Edition

Adjust your browser settings: Change your(active x) settings in IE. With IE open go to tools, internet options, security tab. Click on the internet globe, then custom level. Set the first option "download signed active x controls" to prompt, the next two to disable. Read more:
Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security
Many exploits are directed at Internet Explorer, you dont have to use it. Try a different browser.
Like Firefox,
And Pegasus Mail for a safer e-mail, no tweaking needed.

Outlook Express with the default settings is not secure. It will run scripts, download images etc, just like a browser.
look here
and here


Install a firewall. A firewall will control what comes in from the internet and what leaves your computer to the internet. A firewall will also alert you when a application trys to connect to the internet from your computer, this is a good way to catch crapware or trojans, trying to connect out bound from your computer- whats that and why does it need a internet connection? You can deny it access it until more investigation is done. Zone Alarm is a free and easy to use firewall, that will provide in and outbound protection. Microsoft XP firewall only provides inbound protection. SP2 adds in and out bound protection which is better than nothing, but is not as robust as third party firewalls, Be sure to run only >one< firewall.If you use another, be sure to disable XP's built in firewall. If you use Zone Alarm learn what needs/uses your internet connection. If something unusal or out of the ordinary "asks" deny it access until more investigation is done.
Zone Alarm
Kerio Personal Firewall
Outpost Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall
Tiny Firewall
BlackIce



Download one or two of these, install and update before using:(if these are constantly finding malware, then you need to make changes to your browser and or your habits)
CounterSpy Free trial version
Spybot Search and destroy
Ad-Aware SE Personal edition
Microsoft AntiSpyware (beta version)
Becarful with spyware "removers and scanners"– there are many "rogue/suspect" programs that "claim to remove" spyware.Check here first.

Other programs to consider:
Process Guard stop events/processes with user intervention
SpywareBlaster add security to IE
IE-SPYAD adds adware peddlers sites/domains to IE restricted zone
CleanUp cleans out temps,history, autoforms etc

AntiTrojan software to fill in the gap:
a2 free
Ewido Security Suite
Trojan Hunter (30 day trial version)
TDS-3 trail version discontinued as of 07/05
Tauscan trial version


Learn More:
Browser Checkup
Parasite Free
Safe Hex
Shelf Lifes site
Home Computer Security
Wilders Security Advisors

Watch what you download, and where you download it from. Many programs come bundled with extra software.You may be installing more than you think. Make sure you understand what it is you will be downloading and installing to your computer. Visit the makers website, learn more about the program, Does the program you want come bundled with other "3rd party" programs? What do the 3rd party programs do? Will they deliver ads? Track your surfing habits?. Read the EULA agreement, you know, that paragraph of stuff you "agree to" before the software installs? If you search hard enough you can always find a "clean" alternative to any software. Stay away from warez and crack sites. Becarful what you download from file sharing networks. If you are not sure, scan it with your Antivirus app. A small file (in KB) is probably not what you think it is. DO YOU TRUST THE SOURCE?
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI