This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Free Drivers is there such a thing.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there. About 3 months ago I bought an older computer running windows 98 that had a cd rom on it. Went out and spent twenty pounds to upgrade to a cd burner. Doubled the memory and hard drive etc. Not a bad bargain considering I was fairly new to the Internet and it suited my needs perfectly. I got the machine for free and the upgrade cost about 50 quid. Now I am using another computer that is a bit faster still, more memory and gigabytes of storage space. But no cd burner on it again tho it has a dvd player. So I took the burner and fitted it into this better machine. And naturally decided to install the old cd-rom back into my original machine. Probably give it to another newbie free of charge. No probs with the burner just plugged and it played. But when I tried it with the cd-rom It didn't work so well. Device not ready. I know this is a driver problem and that somehow the driver files for this device got disabled or deleted or something like that. I may have done it myself I just can't remember. But thats not what this is about. I've been trying to find a driver for this cd-rom on the internet for download as i don't have the disk for it. I've asked paople I know can you get free drivers on the internet and they say yes but oddly noone ever tells you where. Is this some kind of urban myth that there are driver files on the internet for older pieces of hardware like this. Everyone loves to tell you can get these things but I'm beginning to think noone who says this has actually ever done it or tried to. I just keep getting directed to page after page after page of commercial sites that don't have what I'm looking for. Its not that rare a piece of equipment. A Mitsumi creative CD3630E AC101 cd-rom. Can anyone give me a bit of useful advice to help me in my search. Thank you Lynchy
you dont need drivers for cd rom or cdr drives. is it listed in device manager or show up in my computer? might try "adding" the drive via add new hardware wizard.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI