This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Read only issues with Win 7

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Been a long time since I visited the site, being lucky or careful, I guess.

 

Anyway got a brand new Win 7 64 bit lap top on Thurs.  I have been slowly installing programs to get it up and running.  Of course MS has about +150 updates.  After installing the most recent updates last night, today I find that I am unable to write to any file contained in sub-folders in the top document folder. 

 

I did some research and tried:

1.  Deselecting the read only in a couple of the folders, no luck but some experts said the read only to folders doesn't do anything.  lol I can't write to any of them.

2.  Using command prompt attempted to remove the read only with attrib -r -s c:\users\ etc.  This didn't change anything, still unable to write to folders.

3.  Specifically using excel 2000 (with excel 2007 installed also) saved a file to a file that is created when excel can't save, opened that file and saved as to the documents folder.  I was then able to move the file from documents to the correct sub-folder with no issues.  This took about 5 steps when it should have been completed with the save.

 

So do you guys have any suggestions as to how to remove the read only attribute from the folders or at least allow programs like excel, word etc to write/overwrite files in the sub folders? 

 

I am including the HiJackThis file even though I don't believe it to be a maleware or spy ware or virus.

Attachments:

Read Only attributes on folders mean nothing, exactly as you had heard before.

 

By Document sub folders you mean any folder under C:\Users\Terry\My Documents? What is the exact error you are getting?

Can you copy a file there or create a new file there?

Yes any folder within My Documents.  I didn't add but all of the files DO NOT HAVE READ ONLY attributes, but excel could not write/overwrite them.

In partial answer yes copy/paste works, maybe I didn't explain it properly.  That was part of the 5 step process reference.

For a new file, yes, I can write to one, but it appears in the "Compatabilty files".  I thought that was done away with in Win 7, I hated it in Vista. Also I was able to over write, but again in compatibily files.  grrrrrrrrr

 

How do I delete that whole procedure of compatibility files?

What you are viewing is a Win 7 explorer.  The UAC is positioned one notch below always notify.  Since my last post concerning the compatibility files, I have done some experimentation.

 

When saving to a pure sub document in My Documents there appears to be no issues, it is only when saving to a link to a program file folder or a program file folder,  In each of the last two examples files where again saved to the Compatibility files.  What I may need to do is to move those data files to my docs.

 

That being said there still may be an issue with other programs that have data with the program folders.  The first time that I observed the compatibility issue was with a Vista machine editing game maps for Heroes of Might and Magic V.  The original files were always located where they should have been but the edited version was within compatibility files.  This caused a lot of grief because I believed the editor was in error not saving the edits.  It was only while trying to think of what is happening that I observed the tab, and when selected there were the edited files(neither file was read only).  So I deleted the original and moved the edited to where it belonged.  You might suspect that I forgot to do this as time passed not remembering the agony, but I did.  I have a Win 7 game lap top and that one has NEVER given me this problem, only this newer one.

I don't know why that posted three times, however, thanks for the link.  The following was a suggestion from the MS web site.

 

Go into the program folder and change the permissions for whomever you allow.

 

I did this on the specified folder edited the file and saved it without issues.

 

Thanks for the help.



Hmmm, did you see this before? WINDOWS EXPLORER COMPATIBILITY FILES

 

I agree with that ^^^ answer and would add - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387

 

Your screenshots clearly show Program Files (x86), which is a virtualizable folder; however, not all sub-folders are necessarily virtualizable folders.

 

What basically happens is that when you attempt to save a file or an app does the same involving a virtualizable folder, it may appear to be there, but in all likelihood the output has been redirected to the Virtual Store located under your user profile -

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Regards. . .

 

jcgriff2

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI