Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:09 PM
The culprit turns out to be Webroot's "Spy Sweeper" program. While running it recently to scan my back-up files on a DVD, the elusive "Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser - Would you like to make it your default browser?" suddenly popped up. I answered yes. Keeping in mind some comments a poster on another forum had made about his anti-spy program, I decided to shut down Spy Sweeper. Now each browser asks in turn to be the default browser.
Apparently Spy Sweeper WAS running in resident status in my previous tests and I had somehow overlooked this. I tried tinkering with the program to fix this but no luck so far (I have a trouble ticket submitted with them). For the time being I am going to leave it shut down as it is definitely the culprit.
As far as the BIOS goes, a close scrutiny of the motherboard User's Guide shows that the BIOS utility setup appears to be correct after all, so I guess I would have to admit that this was "much ado about nothing" on my part.
Shelf Life, thank you for all your help... Sorry about the wild goose chase.