This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

My NAV is gone, computer not working right

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Edith has concluded it's a virus! Smart, aren't I? :rofl: Here's what's going on. My computer has been unused for about three weeks, excpt for one time last wk–it was glitching up then, so I ran disk defrag and scandisk and updated the NAV update thingy. Ran okay after that. But on startup a black screen had come up saying there was an error with something with the mouse– I didn't write that down. Three weeks ago I had installed NAV2006, but my dinoputer would accpt '06, it installed '04 from that disk. I ran a full scan–everything was fine–no viruses. (I'd had NAV'02 before that and would buy the yearly update plan). Today I started it up and first thing and alert comes up saying it can't find my NAV files. :angry: I click okay, and as the puter's warming up all these error boxes come up–don't know if you will need this, but this is what came up. NAVOptrf.dll DefAlert.dll NAVAPW32.dll ccIMscan.dll statushp.dll npfmntor.exe SCRBlock.dll Sgmain ActiveX I tried to unistall/reinstall NAV from the control apnel and nothing was in the add/remove programs window–a blank window. I tried to uninstall/install from the disk in safe mode and there is no "drive E" to click on to do so. I tried to open internet explorer (in safe mode) nd it came up as error–the page can't be displayed. I restarted one more time in regular mode–no IE, error popups in all the above, nothing in the add/remove programs window, and I forgot to check and see if the E drive is there. I shut it down and unplugged the cmputer so that the virus doesn't have any power to work with, but I don't know if that is gonna do any good. I'm on my hubby's work computer right now. If I don't get back to a response right away, be patient– I'll get back (I want my puter back! LOL!) I've had an operation and it takes a lot to get to either 'puter in the basement of the house. My computer's OS is windows ME, and I can't think of what else you might need to know. I do have Spybot and adaware abd Spyware Guard installed, but I didn't run any of those, nor a HiJackthis scan. I was kind of afraid to leave it on any longer. I'm going to try to check back as much as I can this afternoon, since I am still downstairs and can get to the puter. Thanks in advance! :D
hi

this may not be a virus issue after all,

do you have the installation cd for nav 2006 ?

is your computer able to boot from cd ?

if the answer to both is yes , insert the nav 2006 cd to the drive and reboot the machine

follow the prompts, do a repair install if possible..
nav 2006 it seems doesnt support windows 9x/me anymore :(

to check for the malware issue see this topic:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=14401

read it then proceed to download hijackthis and post its log here in this thread using add reply
Thanks for your help, Illukka I ran the Norton disk, it found no virus. My computer is still messed up. Here is what happens every time I turn on the computer. I am back on my hubby's computer because mine doesn't have antivirus, and is glitchy. Upon start, a black screen comes up, looks like it is checking to see if everything is okay– I wrote it all down, if you need it, but right after "mouse initialized", the next line is "error" conflict in slot3 it gives some abbreviations and numbers, and then a choice of press F1 to continue or F10 to set up I press F1–I wouldn't know what to do to set up. Several error boxes come up –in the same ordvcer and the same ones every time. I wrote them all down if you need them. Most have something to do with NAV or explorer. I tried to install NAV from the disk–no go, twice a pop up said LiveUpdate or AutoLiveUpdate is running. (the second time I had shut everything down but explorer and systray, via ctl-alt-del and the shut down button. I ran Spybot, Adaware and cleared all temp and temp internet files. (Used find and the _.tmp,~.tmp,*.tmp sequence) I tried to run scandisk and diskdefrag and neither would run. I still can't open IE right–I get so far and an error pops up and closes it–I can't get to the screen to download HiJackthis, and can't find the one I had downloaded earlier this year. When I open add/remove programs, that little window is blank Any ideas? I hope this wasn't too little info or more than you needed! Thanks
hi this sounds like some serious system corruption :( my first piece of advice would be to back up all important files, personal or work related ( maybe burn them on a cd/dvd ) and then do a complete format and reinstall of the system
Illukka, that's what I was afraid of. :( I don't think I can save anything–when I go to open documents (Word, Excel), on work I wanted to save, the error box pops up and won't open the document, no matter what I do. Yesterday, I found ways around the glitches. (the delete feature from the "file" drop-down would glitch, but right-click worked and I could delete there, etc). I can't figure out ways around the word documents or Excel doc.s not opening. I homeschool my kids and I am going to loose a lot of downloaded curriculum– some I can retreive back off the net, but some will just be gone. At least no important records are here–I stopped saving them on my 'puter when I got the "upgrade" to ME from '98, and little annoyances started up. <_< What bothers me most is the music I am going to loose–I sold the records the songs were on! :angry: Any suggestions as to how to save any of this when I can't open it? Another question– could this have come from the NAV disk itself? I didn't have these problems before I installed it. I bought the disk from an online discount store– paid $20 for it, I think. Thanks again!
hi upgraded OS installation? those are usually not the stablest ones i'm afraid i am not 100% but is suppose that you can do a repair install of the operation system. it works on Win XP, ME i am not sure of.. if you wish i can ask for a ME specialist to help you in this
Maybe, if an ME specialist can help–What I'd really like is to go back to '98–a friend talked me into the upgrade and did it for me a couple years ago and I haven't liked the ME nearly as much as the '98. (Actually, what I'd really like is a NEW COMPUTER! HAHA! :P ) I did figure out how to save my pictures–I uploaded them to my yahoo account. All my music is on Musicmatch Jukebox–any way I can send it somewhere before the system restore? I handwrote all the links to the downloads I had for HomeSchool materials, and will just have to let the other stuff go. (I actually have the system restore disks from way back when I bought the 'puter 6 yrs ago! That would give me the '98 back, would that be a good, or a bad idea?) Another question–only partailly related to this (for future referrence after this mess is cleaned up)–Is there a tutorial on the back-up thing in my system tools? I had read a great tutorial on cleaning up the cache, running disk defrag and scandisk and run them and the spyware and antivirus scans regularly. I don't know how to use the backup thing, and don't know what it actually backs up–does it save things I have saved (like homeschool forms, music and pictures) right on my computer without my having to burn it on a cd? (I don't always have cds onhand and some things I wouldn't know how to get onto a cd, anyway–like my pictures) Or is my ignorance showing again? LOL! :D
yep a backup program can be configured to back up what you wish ;) at the default settings it backs ups my documents, my pictures, your OE account etc i'll ask for someone who knows ME more than i do to take a look at this
hi hijakcthis will easily fit on a floppy. could you download it using some other computer, then scan with it and post a log ? i asked pskelley to take a look, he has much more knowledge on 98/ME than i have ;)
I figured a way around opening ie–several steps– probably TMI to explain–I can't follow links at all, so I had to type in an address. I am on my computer right now–with no antivirus running as far as I can tell. (Playing Russian Roullette! :blink: )

I have Hijack this on my computer– My hubby's laptop didn't have a floppy disk slot, I'm glad I could get it here. I still have the exact same error warning pop up windows as I have had since this started–I kept the list of you need to see that, also.

Here's my log– hope it helps!


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:05:28 PM, on 1/17/2006
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SA3DSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\CPQDIAG\CPQDFWAG.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\CPQS\BWTOOLS\SCCENTER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\COMPAQ\CPQINET\CPQINET.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT\BTTNSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ATI TECHNOLOGIES\ATI CONTROL PANEL\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX\MM_TRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT MONEY\SYSTEM\REMINDER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOTDD01.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBSHOTS\WEBSHOTS.SCR
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIN\HPOSOL08.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\ON-SCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOEVM08.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOSTS08.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\WUAUCLT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Aureal A3D Interactive Audio Init] A3dInit.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Service Connection] c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\cpqeadm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EACLEAN] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\eaclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQInet Runtime Service] c:\compaq\CPQInet\CpqInet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe" start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Aureal A3D Interactive Audio] sa3dsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CPQDFWAG] C:\WINDOWS\cpqdiag\CpqDfwAg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [isdbdc] c:\compaq\internet\isdbdc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLL] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATISmart] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ati2s9ag.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [HC Reminder] hc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\reminder.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - Startup: hp instant support.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\bin\hposol08.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {5D9E4B6D-CD17-4D85-99D4-6A52B394EC3B} (WSDownloader Control) - http://www.webshots.com/samplers/WSDownloader.ocx
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab32846.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) -
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {BAC01377-73DD-4796-854D-2A8997E3D68A} (Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…ropper1_6us.cab





One more thing– I managed to run scandisk and disk defrag in safe mode– they found no errors! weird!
Hi Illukka I really apprecitae your referring me to pskelly–he has been a wonderful help, as you have, and I thank you very much. My computer is pretty messed up and I am going to restore it. Some of these glitches had been going on for some time, anyway. Little annoyances I could live with, but it's gotten too bad now. (Too much to tell, but a lot of stuff is systematically going downhill fast) Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Illukka
I really apprecitae your referring me to pskelly–he has been a wonderful help, as you have, and I thank you very much.

Thanks so much for your help!



hi

yes, Phil is great :D

thanks for the kind words, and as Phil said that you have things pretty much solved i will close this topic now

for future reference here are a couple of words on how to tighten up your PC security :



Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

    You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

    Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

    or

    Windows XP System Restore Guide

    Reenable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

    See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

    Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

    Understanding and Using Firewalls

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

  • Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

  • Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
  • Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
    Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI