This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

From Winfix.com to stuck in safe mode

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:( First time caller Here is the story as close as I can recall. Daughters Compaq V2000 WinXP SP2 all critical updates. Came home from school Christmas break with WinFix.com always wanting to access to internet. Ran MS Sypware program and seemed to fix problem. Another problem or maybe same problem occurred. A program wanted to access the internet with a URL of [removed], not a good url. Decided to load Norton Security. After Norton Security was loaded the Anti-virus detected the Trojan.Vundo, file C:\windows\system32\ssqrr.dll, which could not be deleted or fixed. The window with this information came appearing. Went to Symnatecs.com and found repair procedure. Run FixVundo.exe program. Would not fix problem. Rebooted Safe Mode VGA to run same program. The program that was trying to access internet also occurred Safe Mode, thought this was strange as I thought all resources are at a min. in Safe Mode. Running FixVundo.exe still could not remove the infected file. Rebooted back to Normal Windows mode. On Symantecs fix problem page they suggested going to Safe Mode by running MSCONFIG, INI.BOOT and selecting Safe/BOOT with minimal. On reboot, Safe Mode appeared in each corner, windows started, I select a user, the warning message about being in diagnostic mode appears very quickly, I have to be quick to select YES, the task bar appears, then disappears and the only thing on the screen is Safe Mode in all corners with the operating version across to of screen. Oh and the mouse works. I have rebooted numerous times in normal mode, vga mode, command line mode, etc… same screen appears. Any Ideas Quaternary
I seemed to have resolved the problem of being stuck in Safe Mode with no display other than SAFE MODE in the four corners. I just kept rebooting and quickly selected YES on the waring message. I than ran MSCONFIG and deslected the SAFEBOOT MINIMAL option under Boot.ini Tab and selected NORMAL START under the General Tab. Reboots correctly now, but still have the dreded Trojan.Vundo.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI