Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Norton Protected Files (Recycle) & Others

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DLA

DLA

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Spent the past week cleaning out and tweaking the box. LDTate has been walking me through the HTL and removal of items, spyware, malware and such. Since this is not a HTL issue I thought I could post it here. I have 2 issues that I am not able to resolve. 1. My recycle bin has Norton protected files in the right click menu. Although I have had Norton file protection off since I installed it there are some 42 files that are protect and can not be removed. I believe it's as much as 1 gig of disk space. I have gone through everything. Either I am denied deletion or when they are removed they return in 1 second. I have gone through each area on every drive I can to delete or remove any reference to them or Norton Protection. Including the registry, services, win.ini, sys.ini, all the .ini's, start up, etc., etc. I would gladly remove the Norton if I could, replace it with something. While on the subject, I am very disappointed in Norton security these days, especially since running some of the programs suggested here. Are there a set or combination of programs I can install to accomplish the same as Norton. Item #2 is a program called Solid Works. An excellent 3D modeling program, huge 1 gig. I Removed/Deleted it but it's still there (or at least shows up in my ADD/REMOVE folder with 803 Megs shown as the size. Yet there is no button (remove) next to it. I have done the same with this program, Followed every Folder, file, reference and deleted them, but it's still showing up. I must note though that when running "Regcleaner" it does not show up in the installed list. Since I have tried all practical program and removal techniques, along with quite a few deeper routes, I was hoping for some additional guidance here. Any Help would be appreciated.

Edited by DLA, 01 January 2006 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jayzeee

Jayzeee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:44 AM

I would gladly remove the Norton if I could, replace it with something.

While on the subject, I am very disappointed in Norton security these days, especially since running some of the programs suggested here. Are there a set or combination of programs I can install to accomplish the same as Norton.

I agree..I used to use Norton, it's such a resource hog, and is a real pain to uninstall, On other forums I have seen Norton itself be described as a virus, because of the way it behaves.

Personally, I would get rid of norton and install AVG Antivirus. I use this and have had no problems whatsoever, and it's free..

Avast Home Edition Is another free alternative, I have never used it myself but I have heard it is very good.

I can't help you with your other problem, but hope this has been helpful :thumbup:

#3 DLA

DLA

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

Thanks, My subscription to Symatic is up next month, thats why I'm looking now. I heard that you need to contact Norton tech suport and have them guide you through an uninstall. Unless someone here knows of a thourough way to remove Norton and ALL it's roots. DLA

#4 Jayzeee

Jayzeee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:13 PM

Symantec automated removal tools...

Removal of symantec products after 2003

Removal of symantec products 2003 and before

Edited by Jayzeee, 04 January 2006 - 01:36 PM.

#5 DLA

DLA

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:48 PM

I had already tried the norton symNRT porgram it could do it and wanted to make reports, called sysmantic 3 techs later they have no idea what a norton is. I still scrubing it down. thanks DLA

#6 DLA

DLA

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

The above post should read "it couldn't remove". I'm on hold with Norton right now. Thanks, DLA