This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Opinions/Thoughts on AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello. I'm again looking for opinions on a computer program - this time being AVG Anti-Virus 7.0 After having problems with Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 9.0, I have decided to switch back to AVG Anti-Virus 7.0. So far, I have had no problems as far as the program running and updating. I had no problems with it either before I removed it and installed NAV CE 9.0 I have some questions which I hope someone can answer: 1. How good is this program at detecting viruses? Its website shows that the program has won some certifications, but how does it compare to other programs out there? 2. How many viruses can it detect? Unlike NAV, it does not list the number or names of the viruses that it can remove. Also, if anyone knows the numbers of worms and Trojans it can remove, please indicate so.
Vendors like Symantec and McAfee are very concerned about their corporate customers, so they have very strict zero false positive requirements. While that can be a good thing, it also means they are often slower to update their databases. In my opinion ESET NOD32 is the very best anti-virus program, but AVG is very good. As a bonus you can get the older generation of their software for free (6.0). It uses the same virus definition file, so you're only missing out on the improved user interface: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 :thumbup: