This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sudden Shutdowns

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:05:48 PM, on 12/12/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

I have downloaded a couple of torrents lately. I triple scan all files (mainly games) and tend to be quite aware of potential threats to my system (without being crippled by paranoia).

Yesterday received a message from NAV that I was infected with Downloader.trojan which is a low threat. I was informed it could not be repaired. Odd, because this trojan was defeated back in 2002, so Symantec says. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen…der.trojan.html

I clicked okay to close the threat message and was told that another trojan was found…doh, didn't write the name down but Norton claimed it was fixed.

At that point I shut down, restarted in Safemode, did a full system scan and nothing was found. Today I received a blue screen of death. There was some script but for some unknown reason, I can't find where that log was saved.

I live on the Westcoast and working nights. Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob
Here is a better description of my my problem, from another poster. "This morning I got an alert from Norton AV's daily overnight system scan. The alert was on the file: c:\windows\system32\1d8165.tmp The alert warned that the file has download.trojan. I followed the instructions on the Symantec site: booted to safe mode, disabled system restore, removed the bad file. Then I rebooted and double checked to make sure the bad file was still gone. It was. I rebooted back to regular mode, ran a full system scan again. The file from before was gone but there was a new one with the name: c:\windows\system32\ld7A8F.tmp This has happened several times. The pattern is that the new filename starts with "LD" and has the ".TMP" extension. The other letters/numbers change each time the file is regenerated. I have run Spybot and AdAware; they found nothing." Awaiting assistance still, thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI