This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No Sound!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey everyone, I have a weird problem. I was trying to watch a movie on my laptop - it is playing fine but there is no sound. I go to the little speaker on the bottom to enusre it's not muted…it isn't. Then I go to device manager to make sure there are no conflicts with the sound card…no "x's" or exclamation points anywhere. I am at a loss. I have no sound with my laptop whatsoever…any ideas? I don't think it is a codec problem b/c gspot says I have the correct codecs for this file. And it seems to be more widespread than just windows media player b/c I can't hear anything…no log on/log off windows thing, no sound on webpages, etc…
ok right click on the speaker icon in your system tray and choose properties (or access it from the control panel…). Under the "Volume" tab click on the "Advanced" button and make sure nothing is muted or turned all the way down (the "Wave" setting tends to do this on its own quit often) Speaker volume and make sure both of those are turned up. Then "Audio" tab make sure your audio device is chosen for "Playback"…
Mute is not checked under sound control. I've tried uninstalling all my sound drivers and rebooting to see if that would fix the problem. I've also did a system restore. No luck. There don't appear to be any conflicts in device manager. I contacted Dell and they are suggesting I need a new motherboard, that doesn't sound right…there has to be something else I can try?
geesh.. leave it to dell to say something like that. Before any motherboard replacment is done… you said "Mute is not checked under sound control" … You know there are like..10 to 15 possible settings there correct? (not sure on exact number, all depends on your audio. However, each one will have either a "mute" or an "enable" or similar underneath it)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI