This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help! Can't seem to install my new software :(

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just purchased a new Photo Editting program call Photo Explosion Deluxe. I have attempted to install it a number of times now and it appears to go through the entire process but when it nears the end of the "Copying Files" process it will stop and then indicate that it is Rolling Back Action. Then I get a message that the Install Wizard was interrupted during installation and it could not complete and that my system was not modified. I have ended task on nearly everything before installing and even attempted to install by saving the contents of the disk to my desktop and trying to install in safe mode. When I attempt to Install in safemode I get " Error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime ". Anyone have any ideas what else I may try to get this program installed? My system seems to be running very well so I don't quite understand and have never run into this before. I have already replaced the disks once as well, per the support person I spoke with from Nova Development (the programs creator). Any help would be appreciated.. I was so excited to try this new program out and now this .. grr .. thanks guys.. FYI…I have Windows XP and my computer is only 9 months old I am running Ewido Security Suite, Microsoft Antispyware and Spyware Guard
I did as you said and download those and installed it and restarted but still no luck… it goes through the process of copying the files then… just as you think its going to finish …it will say "Rolling Back Action"
One more thing I've noticed is that the Nova site tells me to check to see that my installer file is not "Read Only" .. so when I go to it and right click it and check properties. I see that Read Only is in fact filled in .. so I unclick that and hit apply and it asks me if I want to add those attributes to all files and colders within that file I say yes and then Ive been told to restart. Ok.. so… when I go back to check the folder again.. the "Read Only" box is filled in once again… any ideas if this may be my problem?
Still no luck guys.. Im hoping to not have to return this program. I know its some process thru the company itself because you cant return an open program to the store.. Any more ideas would be appreciated so much.. thanks again..
I think I may have found a reason for software not installing. My name is the administrator name on our home computer but in my attempt to check on what "permissions" are set on my computer I rebooted in safe mode and then changed folders to view all hidden files applied it and hit ok and then went to locate C:\Windows\Installer and I can only get as far as C and Windows.. there is no Installer file on my administrative name. When I restart in safe mode 2 options show up.. either administrator or my name. If I go to administrator.. there is no C:\Windows\Installer file to go to. Any thoughts guys?
ok here is what I try to do here…

Change Permissions
Log on to the Windows XP computer with an administrator user account, and verify that you have the correct permissions for the C:\Windows\Installer folder. Follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Click Folder Options on the Tools menu.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
5. Locate the folder C:\Windows\Installer.
6. Right-click the Installer folder, and then click Properties.
7. Click the Security tab.
Here is where I run into a problem because there IS NO SECURITY TAB!!.. Just General.. Sharing and Customize..
HELP PLEASE!!

so that I can complete the rest of these things..

8. Click System, and then verify that the Full control check box is selected.
9. Click Administrators, and then verify that the Full control check box is selected.
10. Click your user name, and then verify that the Full control check box is selected

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI