This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Hijackthis stalling.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi. Listen you guys have been great when I got all messed up with spyware and stuff. I ain't complaining at all. But I'm curious and I like to ask. Don't care if I sound stupid outside your classroom cos my stupidity will allow me to gain knowledge and thats what its all about. After I downloaded the hosts file etc and all the other bits and pieces like adaware spybot etc. I got the whole caboodle now. Every time I go into Internet options and then security to change settings. Because sometimes I want customise and fly by the seat of my pants security wise. It takes an age for things to happen. Press the sites button and have to wait for like a minute. Is this because its loading or something. Also I find hijack this useful for just doing a scan and having a look now and then because I know whats supposed to be in there. What I downloaded and whats ok. But it gets to the just the end of the scan and sticks on an entry. Then I cant scroll through and see it cos its froze. Gotta hit Shift/Alt/Del to shut it down. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. No help at all. :blink:
well, did you download iespyad? If so the 'sites' list in your restricted zone is going to be huge and will take a long time to load.
I kinda guessed that. Just didn't kno for sure. So surely this doesn't affect my registry entries. What do you think is causing Hijack this to freeze every time I try and run it now. Value your expert opinion if you have a sec to answer this? Cheers either way. Lynchy. :ph34r:
Try running this:

Download http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/winpfind.php

Extract WinPFind.zip to your c:\ folder.
Please print these instructions as you will be going into safe mode.
Reboot your computer into Safe Mode by following the following steps:

Reboot.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Then open c:\WinPFind and double-click on WinPFind.exe. When the program is open, click on the Start Scan button to scart scanning your computer. Be patient as this scan may take a while. When it is done, it will show a log and tell you the scan is completed. Reboot your computer back to normal mode and and post the contents of c:\WinPFind\WinPFind.txt as a NEW TOPIC HERE:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=…o=new_post&f=27

do NOT reply to this topic….
That should help diagnose any problem that exists.

wng