Hope I'm doing this right. New to the forum. I recently had some trouble with annoying popups from e-pilot and something from 888 casino. I downloaded Grisoft AVG and that seemed to remove everything. That stupid McAfee didn't even find these things.
Now, for some reason, I can't do a system restore. I wanted to do that just in case there was still something going on from a download. It goes through what appears to be the proper process, but then when the system is back on a message comes up that the system could not do a restore to that point. I've tried picking several different times, and each time it won't work. A few times a blue screen with an error message came up and would not allow the system to turn back and said it was dumping physical memory.
Right now, I'm afraid to shut my system down, or I'd be able to copy the opening error message. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Does this mean that the whatever caused the popups is still infecting my computer?
Sorry that isn't more specific. If I wasn't afraid to shut down my system, I'd have more info. But if anyone can help from that little bit of info, I'd appreciate it.
First off you need to keep in mind that system restore is NOT a utility, nor some thing you want to use often. What you need to do, if you want to use system restore.. is go to control panel, click on system.. then under the system restore tab make sure its enabled then make you a restore point.
Alot of "baddies" like to hide in your system restore, therefore, if you have/had a problem with them than your restore points should be cleared.
Ok, I'll give that a try and see what happens. I know that using AVG did a lot of that already. Maybe they missed something. Thanks for the advice.
How do I remove previous restore points? I've never thought to do that before.
To remove them.. navigate your way to "System" in control panel and under the System restore tab.. simply disiable it… apply… reboot.. then re-enable it
Ok, I did that and when I restarted the computer, the error screen came up again. Here's what it says:
———————————————————————————–
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xE32B6560, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x80563DBA)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
———————————————————————————–
Any ideas on what I should do now? I'd call Dell directly, but (1) I can't understand a thing they say half the time and (2) their answer is always to wipe my hard drive and reload everything.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI