This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

System Restores Corrupting?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

[external image: Posted Image]

This happened to me a couple months ago, but what will happen is that after the computer is idle for about 10 minutes, AVG will pop-up saying it has detected some Trojan Horse infections in the System Restore files. Other than these AVG pop-ups, I noticed nothing going on with the computer. Still, I went to the infection removal form and got my computer checked out. I was told everything was find and after clearing my System Restore points the bug went away.

Now, its back. I know that if I cleared my System Restore Points it would go away again, however I want to know if I can solve what's going on. It's kind of important to have System Restore and I can't keep important ones if this keeps happening and making me clear them. I have 2 theories:

1) Windows is creating corrupt system restores. (both occurrences happened after I got a major update, EX: SP 3, and so I guess Windows Updater would create a restore point before installing it, and when it did it corrupted it)
2) AVG is picking up false alarms on certain restores.

I'm not sure how to find out which one it is but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this. Also, I've tried the ignore button, the heal button, and all the other options with AVG and this still happens.

Old Malware Topic: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Infected_Sys…ore_t97001.html
"Windows" is not in the business of creating corrupt Restore Points. "other factors" may be corrupting the creation of Restore Points. Or AVG "may" be making false-positive detections. It's been 2 1/2 months since you completed your work with jpshortstuff. that is, of course, plenty of time to have run afoul of new malware. Please go back to Malware Removal Forum. Once your machine gets a "current" good bill of health, then we can have a look at the Windows System factors that may contribute to malfunction of System Restore. You can imagine that we'd want to run: sfc /scannow CHKDSK /r Have a look around your drivers and such. Look at third-party software and such BUT, we would be remiss if we started that type of investigation and change without first ruling out Malware. Post back here once you've finished any necessary work in Malware Removal. Best Regards
To add a little to what Doug said.. A couple of months back there was malware in your system restore points because your computer was infected and when restore points were made the malware was also backed up. This happens a lot, but luckily when can easily flush the restore points the way jpshortstuff told you to do it. Now your restore points seem to be infected again. This means that there must be some kind of malware on your system again as it has been backed up into restore points. That is why I'd also recommend to go to the Malware Removal Forum.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI