This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

explore hangs

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When browsing folder on my pc in explorer with my network connection enabled, explorer hangs but eventully starts to work after about 1 minute. If my network connection is disabled i can browse folders and files with no problem. I have 2 servers i connect to a linux and win2003 server that i stream media and my web page that i upload files to. I do not have the drives mapped at all .sometimes i will launch an application from the server what causes this to happen it
hmm… your drives are NOT mapped..? How do you access them from your pc then?



Sure does look an awfull lot like a question off of an exam..
in explorer while looking for files \\ip or pc name\ drive and enter my user and password. Now on the servers when i browse files it does not do it, only from my pc. IF i diable my lan connection i can browse files easly no problem on the PC? It has something to do with that connection.
I try to do clean up at least 1 every 2 months if not sooner. lately i have started defrag before i go to sleep and when it analizes my drives it give me to message no nedd to defrag. Lately I have not been downloaidng any file or deleting files or moving files, the only thing i have done is rip some cds directly to my server. I will defrage any way tonight regardless of what the report gives and let you know what happens.
okay here is what i just noticed. When browsing my D drive I can browse any folder without explorer hangin but when I browse my MP3 folder it takes a long time to show any of the contens of the folder. the folder when i go to properties shows about 20 gigs. It is the only folder that cause the problem???? My most used folder
How many subfolders are there in this folder? If none then create a few test subfolders and move your files into them. About 50 files per folder. If you see a difference organize the files into appropriate folders. MP3 MP3/ROCK1 MP3/ROCK2 MP3/DANCE etc.
nope that did not do anything. While my network connection is enabled browsing folders is a pain. When i right click to add new folder or create a file it takes forever. Here something. how can i make xp check the registry for incvalid paths to files or folders. Like I might have mounted an ISO across the network and installed a program. Almost like a registry fix? Or remove cached files from my pc that I might have used to vew a web page or something. delete old file paths stored in cache, maybe there is another place they are stored in.
I am having the exact same problem. When trying to browse a directory with a large number of files xp is unusably slow. A directory with a lot of folders isn't too bad, although all directories are unusually slow. When I disable my network connection everything works fine. Please post if you find a solution, I will do the same.
ok, don't know why but it works. I've been fighting this for days and after disabling the network connection to see it worked as a workaround and then reenabling to post my last message, everything just magically started working fine.
Okay I found the problem? I use Winap to play mp3s. evedently what happend was when I played some files from my server with the mp3 ext. it was using the version I had on the server which was newer than my version. the version on my pc is from my old system which was on my d: drive so i did not reinstall it because i could still use the older version without reinstalling it. when I used the version from the server, it must have installed its location into the registry and each time I went to browse folders it was trying to associate mp3s with the version from the server. The other problem is I upgraded my OS on my server that had winamp installed on it, so their are no registry extensions for that winamp version now and i changed its ip and pc name. to resolve the problem I switched all my winamp ext. to windows media. now i can search for files without disableing the network connection. I hope that was not to confusing!!!! O well problem sovled. :scratch: Thanks for your help
Well.. sorta.. I mean, when your on a different box and you click on a file thats on your server (say mp3) it doesnt play it on the server.
I know, but I my have ran the winamp.exe to paly a video file at some poiint and I think that my have caused my problem, i am not sure. But I now can browse through files with no problem now! I need a good media organizer for my mp3s and dvds now, anything other than mediaplayer that plays dvds, divix etc.. and mp3s :wavey:
:wall: The problem reoccured so I decided to fix it once and for all. I searched my registry and found all files that were pointing to the servers local address 192…. address and remapped all registry ext. to point to my local pc and now no more right click explorer hanging hopfully. took me all of 10 minutes to do the complete search and fix. I am satisfied now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI