This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Explorer lags when showing drives

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I experienced a really strange problem recently. Whenever I open "My Computer" or browse it via any software, it went terribly slow on showing drives and makes the software stall for quite some time (see attachment).

I've tried get rid of it, I suspect it caused by driver and software conflict, so I removed some drivers and softwares, but nothing happened.

If anybody know the solution please let me know.

Attachments:

Hi Isador and welcome to the WTT forums. Sorry to hear about the "slows" when accessing  "Computer"
 
In trying to establish the source of the problem it would be sensible first step to boot your computer into safe mode (using F8…commence tapping it once per second immediately after pushing the "power on" button from a cold start)
 
See if the "slows" continue in safe mode…… you will not be able to connect to the Internet in pure safe mode but still be careful as your protections (antivirus etc) will not be fully protecting you in safe mode. so only stay in safe mode for as long as it takes to see how it accesses "Computer"

Post back with how it behaves…any decrease in the slows etc and we will advise the next steps.
Regards
paws

hi paws,

thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay

I've tried in safe mode and sadly, the problem still occurs and I don't think there is any decreases in the "slows"

any advice what to do next?

Hi Isador, Ok all understood.

Two extra questions for you:

 

1 Is your machine suffering the slows only when accessing "Computer" as per your screen dump,? or is ie equally slow when doing other things.. ?

 

2 Can you please supply details of the softwareand drivers you uninstalled? ( a list will be fine)

Regards

paws

Hi paws,

tahnks for the reply, here's the answers:

  1. it slows whenever I open "Computer" from any program
  2. how can I list all my drivers and programs? Can I use OTL or something and post the log here?

Hi Isador,

I just need to know:

1  if the "slows" apply throughout your machine, eg opening documents, viewing photos, using email, Internet, etc

and

what software and drivers did you remove?

Regards

paws

the slow appears whenever a program attempted to list all drives in my computer

and about the programs I removed, I'm not really sure since it happened some times ago, but I think the problem occurs after I plug an usb drive or something, like usb modem, usb printer, or usb gamepad, I just can't recall

Hi Isadore,

Ok I think the best approach may be for your to use a System Restore Point created well before the problem started.

 

Here's how:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/system-restore

 

Remember to use one created BEFORE the problem started.

Let us know if this does the trick for you.

Regards

paws

Hi paws,

I can't do that, since the problem happened some times ago, so I can't remember when the problem starts to occur

Is there any other way?

Shutdown then disconnect everything from your computer except mouse, keyboard and display.

Power up. Does the problem still occur?

Shutdown then disconnect everything from your computer except mouse, keyboard and display.

Power up. Does the problem still occur?

I already did unplug all my usb and external devices and fyi, it's a laptop

Hi Isador,

Ok all understood.

 

Have you tried running the Windows Protected  System File scanner?

The command you need is

sfc /scannow

 

You will need to run this from a command prompt with elevated priveleges…

If you haven't run it yet then try it, as once completed and your machine closed down and restarted… it may help reduce the slowness when accessing "Computer"

 

If you need more detailed instructions on how to run sfc /scannow then take a look here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

 

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

Hi Isador,

Ok all understood.

 

Have you tried running the Windows Protected  System File scanner?

The command you need is

sfc /scannow

 

You will need to run this from a command prompt with elevated priveleges…

If you haven't run it yet then try it, as once completed and your machine closed down and restarted… it may help reduce the slowness when accessing "Computer"

 

If you need more detailed instructions on how to run sfc /scannow then take a look here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

 

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

that didn't solve the problem either

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI