This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 7 Network browser not seeing XP systems

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm having a lot of fun with Windows 7 RC1, but one problem I can't seem to fix. If I try to browse to my XP systems all I see isf this one, the Windows 7 system. I can net view all shares on \\Desktop and \\Webserver, both of which run XP Pro. I can start Windows Explorer using UNC names like \\Desktop\\HP_C (C: drive on HP Desktop), and once I've done that, I can then see all the shares for \\Desktop in the same Windows Explorer window. Seems to be just the network browser that is not working yet all the necessary services (I think) are running. I am not using Home Group, just straight sharing. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Ztruker, Microsoft does have an official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here. It is supported by product specialists as well as engineers and support teams. You may want to check the threads there for additional assistance. Jessica Microsoft Windows Client Team
Only got a single response on the Win 7 forum, but … I was working on my daughters new computer today and couldn't get Network browsing to work there, then I remembered to check the workgroup name and they were different. Made them the same and browsing worked. Came home and checked my Win 7 setup and the workgroup name was different than the XP computers. Made it the same and Network browsing works fine now. Another self inflicted wound :pullhair:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI