This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help Dropped Internet Connections

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I try to keep all of my antivirus and antimalware software up to date. I have been getting dropped internet connections regularly. Some antivirus software has detected a Dropper.Small or a Dropper.Agent. I don't know if it's related, but it will not remove. Please help me, I do a lot of my work through telnet and I lose my connections at least once in 10 minutes. It makes it difficult to work. I have attached an HJT log from the most recent version of HJT.

Thank you in Advance,
Marc


=============================================
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:21:03 PM, on 9/14/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Commander Pro\UPServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Commander Pro\UPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\G-VGA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\fpdisp5a.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Nokia\MPAPI\MPAPI3s.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\hjt\HijackThis.exe

N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://my.yahoo.com"); (C:\Documents and Settings\marc\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\vir632vz.slt\prefs.js)
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\marc\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\vir632vz.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {86227D9C-0EFE-4f8a-AA55-30386A3F5686} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VGAUtil] C:\WINDOWS\System32\G-VGA.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FinePrint Dispatcher v5] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\fpdisp5a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZingSpooler] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Zing\ZingSpooler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DataLayer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe -onlytray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PcSync] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/kws/kav…can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} (InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX Control) - http://wow.bezeq.co.il/wownew/downloads/update/iftwclix.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} - http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: UPSmart - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Commander Pro\UPServ.exe
O23 - Service: X10 Device Network Service (x10nets) - Unknown owner - c:\MEDIAE~1.0\x10nets.exe (file missing)
Hello Marc and sorry for the wait, we are extremely busy :( I have had a look at your HJT log and I see a couple of items that need to go, but nothing that should be causing the issues you describe. Let me say that the issue you have is difficult to troubleshoot, and while I have been wrong before, I do not believe malware is causing your problem. I would first contact your ISP and have them look into the issue. I'm in Florida and I will briefly tell you about an problem I had with DSL here. After MUCH troubleshooting and finger pointing, a line tech finally found a dead Anole (little Florida lizard) who had electrocuted itself and was laying across the phone lines. When the wind blew it caused static and my signal dropped, go figure. I will also say that HJT does not show everything and I do not see the trojan you described. If you want, I will being a series of scans to look for something hiding. I'll also give you a few links to troubleshooting. First, here are the items I would remove with HJT:

Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {86227D9C-0EFE-4f8a-AA55-30386A3F5686} - (no file)
O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} - http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

I am not sure of your connection type so this is random information that may or may not apply:
http://www.vallnet.com/support/connection.shtml
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;EN-US;238135
http://members.connectto.net/trouble.htm
http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

Maybe PCPitStop can help? http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

If you want to run the scans, let me know, good luck.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI