Software
Windows XP Shutdown
3 min read
Tinksrevenge
Topic Starter
Hi, I am new to all this. My other computer gets stuck when shutting down and simply just wont! It logs off, then says "Windows is shutting down"….FOREVER
Any ideas?
this is the header info from my HJT log:
Platforn: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
I have run Adaware, Spybot, Nortons (crappy), and even bought spydoctor. So I dont imagine it is virus related?!! That is why I am posting this here..Thankyou
orion
Crow
Run disk cleanup and then defrag. Go to control panel and internet options and delete cookies. Reboot and post back if problem still exists
Bold_Fortune
After I posted this on another site, some people told me they already new about it. I sure wish they had told me about it. I just found this last month. Maybe some of you are unaware of it.
Does this look familiar?
—————————————————————–
"Windows saved user X registry while an application or service was still
using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry
has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
—————————————————————–
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."
—————————————————————–
Well, I think you're going to really like this….
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…&displaylang=en
Be sure to read the "Readme File.txt at the bottom of the page.
—————————————————————–
This will ad a "User Profile Hive Cleanup" Service to your Services listing. You won't believe how great this works. I now have no delays what-so-ever in my shutdown process.
—————————————————————–
The registry tweaks for "programs timeout " and the "services timeout" are a good thing. I use them, also.
Every-so-often, though, I could still get a slow shutdown. After I rebooted, I could see this Event Message in my Event Viewer…
"Windows saved user X registry while an application or service was still
using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry
has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use."
If you do notice a slowness in shutting down, check your Event Viewer and see if you see that error I posted above. This will fix that for you.
—————————————————————–
One thing that has been really noticeably different since I installed this Service…my timeouts as I go to shutdown or reboot are always timed exactly the same. It's like I can count…one..two…shutdown. It's kind of cool.
Does this look familiar?
—————————————————————–
"Windows saved user X registry while an application or service was still
using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry
has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
—————————————————————–
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."
—————————————————————–
Well, I think you're going to really like this….
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…&displaylang=en
Be sure to read the "Readme File.txt at the bottom of the page.
—————————————————————–
This will ad a "User Profile Hive Cleanup" Service to your Services listing. You won't believe how great this works. I now have no delays what-so-ever in my shutdown process.
—————————————————————–
The registry tweaks for "programs timeout " and the "services timeout" are a good thing. I use them, also.
Every-so-often, though, I could still get a slow shutdown. After I rebooted, I could see this Event Message in my Event Viewer…
"Windows saved user X registry while an application or service was still
using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry
has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use."
If you do notice a slowness in shutting down, check your Event Viewer and see if you see that error I posted above. This will fix that for you.
—————————————————————–
One thing that has been really noticeably different since I installed this Service…my timeouts as I go to shutdown or reboot are always timed exactly the same. It's like I can count…one..two…shutdown. It's kind of cool.
revtech05
You gave a link to the download from Microsoft Downloads, but you didn't give the whole thing. You're link had … in the middle of it, which took me to a page which said we can't find the page you're looking for. Could you repost that link in full. I think that tool would be amazingly helpful.
Thanks,
carmack
I checked in Microsoft's files and found this link which leads to a discussion about this problem. It contains reference to the fix for this issue.
Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;en-us;837115

Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;en-us;837115
Crow
Bold_Fortune -
Familiar.. possibly.. I think I may have run into something similar. However, unless user is having that exact issue, installing another service will not help matters. Even if the problem is exactly the same, the last thing I would do is install ANYTHING that runs another service. XP is bogged down already as is being overloaded with services. I would reccomend a tweak application before anything else but its usually best to start with basics and go from there.
After I posted this on another site, some people told me they already new about it. I sure wish they had told me about it. I just found this last month. Maybe some of you are unaware of it.
Does this look familiar?
—————————————————————–
"Windows saved user X registry while an application or service was still
using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry
has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
Familiar.. possibly.. I think I may have run into something similar. However, unless user is having that exact issue, installing another service will not help matters. Even if the problem is exactly the same, the last thing I would do is install ANYTHING that runs another service. XP is bogged down already as is being overloaded with services. I would reccomend a tweak application before anything else but its usually best to start with basics and go from there.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI