I defragment once a week on my XP pro 80GB 512RAM system and feel it improves system performance with regard to boot time and speed. How often do you defragment and do you consider this as a regular maintenance task.
You betchya. Theres not much more important things you can do than defrag and disk clean-up. I run mine everytime it looks like i may have 10 or 20 minutes of free time.. and that could be once day. Stay on the track your on and you will seldom ever have problems.
You betchya. Theres not much more important things you can do than defrag and disk clean-up. I run mine everytime it looks like i may have 10 or 20 minutes of free time.. and that could be once day. Stay on the track your on and you will seldom ever have problems.
205379
Thnx for ur reply Crow, Daily defragmenting? Wow! Do you use the built in utility or third party tools? have seen debates that it shortens HD life, what do u feel?
Well.. look at it like this. The average hdd now days spinrate is like 7200 rpm… thats pretty dayam fast but reguardless, it has moving parts. So eventually .. yes.. as far as shorten..? well I wouldnt go as far as to say that, there are excellent utilities out there (SpinRite and HDD Regen. are my fav's) that can fix alot more of the problems you will come across than most think.
I have been using O&ODefrag and its a good app. However, to me windows does a decent enough job for me as well so as far as a third party app.. its up to you
I defrag every disk except the one with the page file on it every morning at 5 am (sequentialy). It's automatic. I bought Diskkeeper to do this as it is much faster and uses very little system resources. I also got it because it defrags the page file and MFT. However I found that every time I defrag the MFT for C: it won't let me reboot and tells me I have an error. Finally I stopped that. Luckily I back up C: a lot. I'd still recommend Diskkeeper though. Very nice program. I have not found anyone who has the problem defragging the MFT like I do, so it's probably just me.
Its interesting that there are lots of people who defragment on a daily basis and yes its good to defragment the MFT and paging file too.
At my workplace, the automatic defragmenter that has been set does a good job, and its easier now because the thing runs with a small foot print in RAM, without taking too many resources from applications, servers are running with lesser issues.