Often when I open a folder and right click the file, either to delete it or check the properties, ect the computer freezes. I then must enter the task manager to end the "not responding" task. I am running an up to date 2005 Norton antivirus and system works. I often run Ad-aware. Any ideas what this could be?
You most likley have a shell extention not responding or not being found. For example, if you have an un-zipping program on your right-clicking menu, and it has not been uninstalled properly, it could cause this problem. Explorer will be tryng to find a file when it will be not there.
Anyways, to fix this problem, use a utility called ShellExView
Download it and install it. Once done, open the main executable up.
This will show each shell extention operating with explorer. A few hundred will be displayed (I have 237), and guess what? One of them is your problem!
Disable all the ones that are in a pink tint, do this by highlighting one or several with the Ctrl key on your keyboard and then hitting the red button at the top.
When your finished, exit out of the program and right-click away!
If it does work, go back and re-enable them one-by-one, until it does not work; then you will find the specific problem.
Great! You found the problem.
All you have to do is keep it disabled. Once you disable it for the first time, it will always stay disabled. You can un-install ShellExView.
About the bright pink entries, I have no clue. I am not an expert of this program, I just know the basics…
I'm glad you got the problem fixed!
Have a nice day
Should I delete/uninstall the file? Reinstall?
Thanks for your help. It was a huge headache for me and you told me how to fix it. I cannot thank you enough.
You can try re-installing DivX if you even know what it is…
If you don't, or the re-install of DivX doesn't work, do this:
Single click on the "encodeDiVXContextMenu Class" entry, and click the red button at the top of the window.
Now, you can exit the program and delete ShellExview (or un-install ShellExview if you downloaded the installer version)
Thats it!