It's taking over a minute for a file to open or for the box to appear after I right click. It just hangs with the hourglass cursor until it finally responds. I know this isn't normal. So what's causing it?
Anyone, anyone,
…Bueller, Bueller
Is it only when opening files that it's slow or is everything slow?
What does Task Manager show for CPU utilization under the Process Tab and what doe the Performance tab look like?
For CPU utilization, after clicking on the Process tab, click the CPU heading at the top of the column twice. The first time it sorts in ascending order, then next in descending order which shows you the processes using the most CPU cycles at the top.
Open Task Manager (right click on the TaskBar and select Task Manager) and move it to one side or the other so you can see it when you open Windows Explorer. Click on the Process tab and sort as above, then try opening a file, see what comes to the top. Also look at the Performance tab.
Mostly opening files & Firefox takes a long time to open as well. Double clicking a file in M Documents takes over a minute to finally open.
Process tab: System Idle process high 70 - mid 90.
Performance Tab: CPU Usage 4 -16%
PF usage: 710 mb
That doesn't sound bad. How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.
Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system.
Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.
Rich,
I began to follow your instruction when I discovered something interesting that i have to assume is relevant. I didn't want to be connected to the internet if I was going to disable everything that was running because I was afraid that I would be shutting down my protection programs (McAfee). I didn't want to be connected to internet w/o McAfee running so I pulled the Ethernet cable out from the back of my CPU. I discovered that with the Ethernet cable disconnected files in MY Documents (doc, pdf) opened only after a few seconds like normal. Then when i plugged the cable back in, the same files would take over a minute to open. I never got to the part where I was supposed to reboot to see if it ran normal w/ everything disabled. I figured being connected to the internet must have something to do with the problem, but it shouldn't. I'm pretty sure I should be able to be connect to the internet and have files open fast, right?
Thanks,
Rod
Rich,
After heading on over to Virus, Spyware, Infections Removal. Forum. as you suggested, LDTate over at Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal > Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal says, " I wish I had more ideas. I suggest going back to your topic with Rich and see what other ideas he has."
So now I'm back over here. LDTate didn't find anything. He doesn't see anything "phoning home" unless it's McAfee.
Thanks.
Let's get an overview of the machine, software, and performance.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests
Here's how:
You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.
Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)
Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.
The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.
Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.
Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.
After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.
While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.
LDTATE had me uninstall it thinking that something about IE8 was causing the problem. Can I download it from Microsoft and install it again the same way I I got Firefox?
I've seen IE8 cause issues with some pc's.
Lets go back to IE7 or 6
Uninstall Internet Explorer 8 to return to Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel."
Click "Add or Remove Programs."
Check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box.
Scroll down the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 8 that you are running, and then click "Change/Remove."
Just a thought… my daughter had something similar happen. She determined it was Itunes. I have never used Itunes so I don't know the particulars, but apperently if you have gotten a song from the Itunes store, it will tell your computer to "check-in" when running, even if sitting idle. Again, I don't know the particulars, but a couple of her and my sons friends all tell me that it happened to them also.