I was helping a friend clean his PC of some spyware and one of the things that we did was to use IE to delete cookies and temp files. What it did was to clean out the c:\Windows cookies and temp folders.
When we looked later under users– the cookies were still there for both users.
My question is if we ask someone to clean out their cookies and temp files do we also need to have them clean out the users cookies as well?
You would need to use IE, internet option, under each users loggin.
It may be possible to use windows explorer from a admin account to manually do it, but safer to use the other method.
Thanks Chris
That's what I thought– so does that mean if one user posts a log and the log is cleaned, that there could still be baddies lurking in the other user's profile? And if so, should we be asking them if there are other users so that we can also have them post a log?
I saw one case where a person's log was finally cleaned and then they posted a new log using the other user's ID and it was infected as well.
Any files/folders stored in the Documents and Settings\ folder and any registry keys in HKey_Current_User need to be dealt with for each user of the machine.
I always tell my members or anyone else that I help that the way most people do a cookie and cache clean is not a true clean. I then direct them to my site under maintenance and tell them to print out the routine maintenance page if necessary. My cookie and cache clean you actually go to the folders and clean them out. And something some people don't realize is there is a hidden folder in temporary internets files called content.ie5 and that needs to be cleaned out too.
You could use this program to erase all internet files and cookies, along with other useless/old files.
http://www.filehippo.com/download/2c47fdf0…c4d6c/download/
It's called Ccleaner. I have used it for the past few months now and it works GREAT! I suggest it to anyone who need to clean internet files.
Or you could use the ATF-Cleaner tool provided at atribune.org. It is very useful, deletes temporary files, old history in progs, documents and IE, deletes cookies, and recycling bin, just about everything. (Cleaned 5gb off my desktop)
QUOTE(TrojanSlayer95 @ Feb 25 2007, 10:29 PM) 356960
Or you could use the ATF-Cleaner tool provided at atribune.org. It is very useful, deletes temporary files, old history in progs, documents and IE, deletes cookies, and recycling bin, just about everything. (Cleaned 5gb off my desktop)
I would certainly be more inclined to recommend ATF from Atribune to a user requiring help.
Although i have both ATF and CCleaner, the worry would be for someone straying on their own accord into the issues section.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI