zantrol
Topic Starter
Software
window 98 lockup
2 min read
Crow
How many icons are in your system tray?
zantrol
What is the system tray for you. I did notice that most of the desktop items will start the program and they seem fine. If i double click it doen't do anything but if i use look at the task manager i see Explorer as a task. If i Right click and try "open" or Explorer i get the same result. I can use IE no problem.
On my Task bar on the left I have 6 icons and on the right I have 6 icons + time
JPZ
zantrol
Sorry about stick finger. When i ment i double click I was refering to "my computer"
Crow
Were your clock is.. how many icons are by your clock.
Ok.. click on start.. then run.. type msconfig. Under the startup tab you only need these items… (1)Systemtray.. (2)Scanreg… (3)Taskmonitor…and you really dont need task monitor but its ok to leave it there… remember that your not deleting/uninstalling these.. just keeping them from starting up with Windows. It will ask you to reboot and do so. Then, after it boots, there will be a window that pops up and says your using sytem conifguration to troubleshoot blah.. blah.. blah.. Check the bix at the bottom that says "do not show this again"..
post back and tell us if that solves any of the problem .
zantrol
I disable all and left registry scan only. Win 98 now starts up ok and I have full access to all parts of the taskbar.
I installed Norton antivirus 2005 since this is my wife's machine and she has a small business that she needs to access the email for the store. I think most of the problems seem to come in from the store email account although the provider has virus checking and they do stop lots of stuff but still coming through. Beacuse I was going back to an earlier reg file i didn't remove all startup files and your comment reminded me of that.
Now i tried restarting windows and going to dos prompt and checking for a current saved reg file. I did not see one yet, only the one i have up to now. I have restarted twice and it is still not shown up.
Any ideas on that.
Thanks for your other comment that help resolve the issue.
JPZ 
Crow
Did you save one somewere? I dont think that unchecking anything in startup would cause that anyway but if you saved one just navigate to its location if possible.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI