This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Registry problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 3:36:17 PM, on 5/8/06 Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2800.1106) I had a problem of my computer crashing and when trying to reboot got a message that windows could not access the registry. After numerous attempts failing to reboot, I finally resorted to using an old boot disk I created a couple of years ago. The computer now operates, but it does some strange things. In addition, most programs that have been installed recently will not operate. When booting up the windows screen comes up and then I get the following message: "Cannot find a device or file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file. C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\SAVRTPEL.VXD Press a key to continue." After pressing a key, the entire message above repeats and then shows: "SYMTDI.VXD Press a key to continue." After pressing a key, the entire message above repeats and then shows: "C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\SAVRT.VXD Press a key to continue." After going by these 3 messages, sometimes it will then boot up. Many times I get other error messages such as, "Explorer – This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." I have gone to add/delete programs and tried to delete any Symantec or Norton programs that are shown, but instead of deleting it keeps asking for an install disk that I no longer can find. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I was able to remove all of the Symantec software that was causing the problems on boot. Now I would like some assistance in trying to restore some other programs on my computer. My understanding (and I could certainly be wrong) is that when you load any program/software it creates a registry entry so that the computer can then access it. When I rebooted my computer using an old boot disk, I ended up with an old registry that did not have the registry info for any programs/software added after that registry was created. If I am correct in my thinking, (fat chance) is there any way to restore these programs/software that currently reside on my hard drive but won't currently operate? The most critical components I am thinking about are updated versions of Internet Explorer and any updates I have applied to it and my antivirus software. Internet Explorer is not currently operating. I am using Mozilla Firefox as a browser, but it seems to have taken on a few characterisitics of Internet Explorer. Any assistance with these problems will be greatly appreciated.
Well I'm thinking (and yes that hurts) one way to find out is to try and use the programs you know were applied before using the old boot disk.
Worse thing would be having to uninstall and then reinstall…….I know kinda yucky.
Read over this Microsoft link for IE repair…..
Internet Explorer Repair tool
Hmm that was a serious problem. Maybe you had deleted a window file that causes a big problem. I suggest you restore your computer to its earlier time. I am sure that your computer has a back up files so you must restore it. Optional: If you have a reg error ? You need a reg cleaner. This can help you out Visit www.tune-up.com and download the latest software there namely Tuneup Utilitiies 2006 Tuneup makes your registry clean and improve computer performance etc. This software can do many things and I am sure its a big help to you……….. Best Regard :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI