I have run Windows update and it and Sygate, Spybot and my other protection is up to date. If I have to run sfc scannow or a repair of XP, I will have to get a current disk as I got XP Pro when it first came out, then upgraded with the SP1 and then the SP2. I guess I will have to go in and make a disk by slipstreaming.
DP
If your problem is still occuring the next step I suggest is sfc /scannow. No need to slipstream a disk as long as you still have the service pack files on your computer. Microsoft has programmed the ability for sfc to know if the file it needs is on the disk or in the service pack files.
I did the sfc scannow and I still get the error. I guess it is one of those little ehings in life that don't go away. It is not a critical thing, it doesn't lock up, but it is still annoying. I am going to try and remove IE6 and then reinstall it. However, it looks like this just won't go away.
Thanks for your help. Maybe, someday. MS will come out with a patch.
DP
Look in the 02 and 03 and 016 section of your HijackThis log. Compare the files/programs you find there to the other computer that has the same problem. See what they have in common. Try uninstalling the ones that they have in common one at a time and see if the problem goes away. It is most likely not caused by anything from microsoft, adobe, yahoo as more people would have the problem. Check the less common ones first. It is more likely to be an 02 or 03 item.
Let us know if this route solves your problem and what the culprit was.
The problem was with the Google toolbar. I disabled 3rd party browser extensions and the error went away. I removed the Google Toolbar but that was not enough. I actually had to go to IE Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, and scrolled down to the appropriate enable box and unchecked it. A restart is needed but NO MORE ERROR MESSAGE!!!
Thanks.
Go to "Tools>Manage Add-Ons>Enable or Disable Add-Ons" and disable all toolbars any any other items you know you will not need. Specifically, when I disabled everything related to "Earthlink" the problem was solved (but disabling those items did not affect my Earhlink startup page or anything else that I can tell).
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI