This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Screen Resolution and Colors

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I'm running Windows 98 SE on a Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd computer with a Gateway EV500 monitor. When I downloaded AOL Instant Messenger about a week ago it was like I opened Pandora's Box, fortunately I've got almost all of the resulting problems under control, but I'm still having the problem with my screen resolution and colors…. When I downloaded AIM my computer froze and when I restarted it was at 640x480 and 16 colors. I went to the control panel and tried resetting to 1024x768/High Color (which it what it bad been set on prior to AIM), but when I restarted the computer it hadn't changed. I downladed the EV500 driver from Gateway, followed the instructions and tried to reset the resolution and color, but still no change. Then I tried a freeware program called 1st QuickRes Light, which seemed promising, but that also has had no effect. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to resolve this issue? The 640x480 setting is almost tolerable, but the 16 color scheme makes it virtually impossible to use some programs and actually impossible to run others. Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice!
well.. first..are you in safe mode?

Go to add/remove programs and see if AIM shows as installed. If so remove it. Then reboot. Still have problem..? If so you need to download the drivers for your video card.. not the monitor. If your not sure what kind of video addapter you have then downloadBelarc here and run it. It will list everything on your computer for you.. tis a nice little app. Then if you need to post back here with you video card information and we will help you find/get the correct driver.
Crow! Thank you very much for your help! Things are finally back to "normal"! Since I had suspected AIM was a culprit in much of what had been happening to my system I had deleted it and it's components almost immediately after the problems began. I went to Drivers Hedquarters and did a scan of my system and found that the Display Adapters were bad, so reinstalled 'Xpert 99/Expert 2000'. Doing that did the trick! One good thing that came from all the problems I've been having for the past week (resolution/color played but a small part) is that I learned a lot more than I previously had about drivers and other software components. Thanks again!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI