Hello there.
I come to you, with a problem that I do no know how to solve. I was on update.microsoft.com, and I came across a couple of updates that I do not have for my computer.
In the custom install, there were some optional updates that I could install to update my computer. I went to update my computer with the optional updates, and I had to restart my computer.
Now that my computer has restarted, my colors are completely torn. My color settings are on Lowest Bit (4 Bit) and my resolution is on 640x480 pixels.
I do not know what is happening, but system restore did not work. I would like this problem to be solved. If anybody could assist me with this problem I would be very grateful. Gray and black are not the colors for me.
Thank you all.
Update: When I go to the Device Manager, I look at where my Display Adapters are and there is an ! mark next to it.
Looking at the Resources tab it says: "This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem".
The model is:
-Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.
I am not sure what to do.
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with your video adapter.
It looks as though your video driver may have been deleted and so your computer has gone to its "fall back" position of using VGA.(This will give you an odd looking screen with large icons, but at least you will be able to see something!).
Having found your way to Device Manager :
(Right click on My Computer and then Click on Properties>Hardware>Device Manager
Right click on the device with a Yellow exclamation mark against it and click on update driver, allow Windows to access the Internet to locate the correct drivers, follow on screen directions.
When you have finished, reboot your computer and let us know how you go.
Regards
paws
I suppose this is a Display Adaptor, its labeled under that
It seems as though I do not have that option. When I right click on (!)Video Controller (VGA Compatible) and click Update Driver I am prompted with a screen that says:
—————–
Welcome to Hardware Update Wizard
Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?
()Yes, this time only
()Yes, now and every time I connect a device
()No, not this time
—————
Either option sends me back to the same result saying that it could not be updated. I attempted to browse files to maybe direct it to the internet but I cannot choose an Internet icon for it to go to.
Further solution?
Thank you for your help thus far.
I believe the problem is in the Video card itself. I do not currently have the disk, and if it is availble anywhere in the internet that would be marvellous. Until then, I am not completely sure what caused this.
Okay. I followed the full instructions on the Graphics Controller download. Everything was going correct and it started downloading.
However, when the download finished it says that an error has occured during the installation of the device. Followed by Access is denied.
This is very awkward because as of today things were working perfectly fine.
Further:
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."
This shows up where it says Device Status. So it may not be properly installed on my computer to go further. However I still have the same "Access is denied" when trying to install it back.
Goodmorning.
I am on the administrative account when I perform these changes. However, the problem still persists.
I believe I might need to re-install the driver, but I do not have the disk. When I perform the installation instructions from the download it gets to the final sequence and says that there is an error "Access is denied".
:(.
Hi,,
Sorry to hear that this has not gone smoothly.
Try This
log on with the main Admin acount, download a fresh copy of the driver to a new folder on your desktop and exxtract any files to the same folder
and for:
Microsoft Windows* XP Installation Instructions
———————————————–
1. Click "Start" then right click on "My Computer" icon and then click on
"Properties".
2. Click on "Hardware" Tab and select "Device Manager". (NOTE: IF UPDATING
DRIVER GO TO STEP 3B)
3a. Double click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". (Go To STEP 4)
3b. Select "Display adapters" then Double click on the graphics controller
shown.
4. Click on "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver…".
5. Select the following option: "Install from a list or
specific location (Advanced)". Click on the "Next" button.
6. Select the following option: "Don't search. I will choose the driver to
install". Click on the "Next" button.
(NOTE: IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 8)
7. Select "Display adapters". Click on the "Next" button.
8. Click on the "Have Disk…" button and then the "Browse"
button.
9. Enter the folder where you unzipped (Extracted) the file you downloaded,
and then enter the "Win2000" subdirectory. Highlight the "ialmnt5.INF"
file. Click on the "Open" button.
10. Click on the "OK" button. A window listing all of the
available display types should open. Select the display
adapter that your system contains and then click on the
"Next" button.
11. The operating system will install the driver.
Click on the "Finish" button when done.
12A. Click on the "Close" button and then manually restart the system. After the
system restarts The driver should now be loaded. (NOTE: IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 3B)
12B. Click on the "Close" button and then click on the "Yes" button to reboot.
The driver should now be loaded.
Let us know how you go.
Regards
paws
EDIT: The ialmnt5 file is just that. There is no ".INF" after it. Does that make a difference? It looks as if it is a Notepad document containing Setup Information…?
I have followed all of the above directions. They were very specific which helped, however I am still receiving the Access is denied. Is there any reason why I may be receiving this message?
By the way, you have been a great help to me thus far. Thank you for your support.
Hi ,
OK
Can you check please that you are operating with Admin privileges?
(Right click Start…….. you should see at the bottom of the list that opens…….."Open All Users" and "Explore all users"). If the words "All" are not included then you do not have Admin privileges on that account. (Solution is to change to an Admin account)
Can you also advise please at exactly what step in the installation process do you get the "Access denied" message
Regards
paws
When I right click I have the choice of Open All Users and Explore All Users.
Here is what I do when I install the program.
*DONE* 1. Click "Start" then right click on "My Computer" icon and then click on
"Properties".
*DONE* 2. Click on "Hardware" Tab and select "Device Manager". (NOTE: IF UPDATING
DRIVER GO TO STEP 3B)
*DONE* 3a. Double click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". (Go To STEP 4)
*SKIPPED*3b. Select "Display adapters" then Double click on the graphics controller
shown.
*DONE*4. Click on "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver…".
*DONE* 5. Select the following option: "Install from a list or
specific location (Advanced)". Click on the "Next" button.
*DONE*6. Select the following option: "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install". Click on the "Next" button.
*DONE*7. Select "Display adapters". Click on the "Next" button.
*DONE* 8. Click on the "Have Disk…" button and then the "Browse"
button.
*DONE****(The file is called ialmnt5, not ialmnt5.INF)**** 9. Enter the folder where you unzipped (Extracted) the file you downloaded, and then enter the "Win2000" subdirectory. Highlight the "ialmnt5.INF" file. Click on the "Open" button.
*DONE* 10. Click on the "OK" button. A window listing all of the
available display types should open. Select the display
adapter that your system contains and then click on the
"Next" button.
****FAILED**** (I receive the Access is Denied message here in the final installation part, and my only option is "FINISH"****11. The operating system will install the driver.
Click on the "Finish" button when done.
12A. Click on the "Close" button and then manually restart the system. After the
system restarts The driver should now be loaded. (NOTE: IF UPDATING DRIVER GO TO STEP 3B)
12B. Click on the "Close" button and then click on the "Yes" button to reboot.
The driver should now be loaded.
I will upload a picture very soon.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI