This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Elitum.Elitebar found in spybot, ETremover no help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello all: Internet Explerer started popping up with ads. I'm a firefox user, so it wasn't a very discreet form of advertising… I've run adaware, spybot and ETRremover. I've shut down any extra precesses that were running, and blocked IE in Zone Alarm. As of right now, I'm not getting any pop-ups, but a SpyBot scan shows Elitum.Elitebar regsitry entry. I hit "fix selected problems" but, of ocurse, It's back as soon as I rescan. ETRemover was run in safe mode, and reported that it should have fixed the problem. Any ideas? my hijack this log: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 3:17:37 PM, on 7/5/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe C:\spyware tools\HijackThis.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] C:\windows\system32\eliteeku32.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [areslite] "C:\Program Files\Ares Lite Edition\AresLite.exe" -h O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Download RKFiles from here:
http://skads.org/special/rkfiles.zip
Unzip it to the desktop but please do NOT run it yet.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run RKFiles.bat. It may take a while. When it is finished a windows should appear with a log.

Restart your computer in normal mode, and please post the contents of the logfile, which should be at c:\log.txt.
ok, i feel like an idiot: in numerous explanations of how to fix this virus, step 1 was always to "make sure you are able to see hidden files." This is _always_ the case on my computer, but I guess the malware was changing those settings.javascript:emoticon(':rant2:') smilie After I realized it, I was able to root out the .exe files, and follow the directions to eradicate the rest of the junk. Afterward I booted in safe mode and ran RKfiles. log.txt show only this: C:\spyware tools so I think I'm in the clear, although I'll check back in case you tell me I'm not… Thanks, Mark
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:00:11 AM, on 7/6/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\spyware tools\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://httpwwwads.com/servlet/ajrotator/12…L?zone=enternet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] C:\windows\system32\eliteeku32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: strings.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Make sure that you have no browser windows open as this could prevent the fix from working properly. Open HijackThis, scan and when complete, remove the following entries by checking the box to the left and clicking 'fixed checked':

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [etbrun] C:\windows\system32\eliteeku32.exe

Exit HijackThis when done. Reboot, rescan with HijackThis and post a new log here.

This is new to your log:

O4 - Global Startup: strings.exe

Find, zip and send:

strings.exe

to this e-mail address including a link to this thread in the body of the email. It may be OK but I'd like to take a closer look at it - I'll get back to you about it if any further action is required.
strings.exe rar'd and emailed, line deleted in hijack, reboot and new log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:08:03 PM, on 7/6/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\spyware tools\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://httpwwwads.com/servlet/ajrotator/12…L?zone=enternet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: strings.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

It's nothing to worry about - associated with the RKFiles app you ran. Looks OK now - everything running OK?

183193


well, i lost some settings, drivers needed to to be reloaded, and the "language bar" on the toolbar keeps coming back up after each reboot. The colors seem slightly different, and I'd swear the resolution is different (although it isn't). Other than that, I'm hunky-dory. This machine is probably due for a reformat in a month or two anyway, so It's not a concern. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the help. I was happy to have made a small PayPal donation to the cause.

Happy Hunting!
Mark
You're welcome - glad to help :D

To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:

So how did I get infected in the first place?



As this problem has been resolved the topic will be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

The subject of the email must be "Reopen". Include your post username and details about why you need it reopened, with a valid link to your post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI