Hi everyone.
I have just done a clean instal of Windows 7 pro on my xp machine.
everything is ok except that I have no sound from my onboard C-media 9880(mobo ms 7091).
The sound icon in the taskbr is showing a red and wite cross and it says "No Audio Outut Device is installed" I have looked for new drivers but C media do not seem to have any!!
Both the rear panel and front panel sound connecters dont work but on the front panel all other connecters(usb, firewire, cardreaders) all work.
Any ideas would be great.
I fear you are out of luck, from the limited info I've seen for that board (not sure it's the complete\right model) it would appear to be quite old, and as such probably does not have Win7 drivers available, I couldn't even find any vista drivers so ATM I would have to say it is too old to be fully compatible with Win7, but if you have a link too the board I can look again, but msi don't list that model number, sorry I don't have better news.
Thanks for that. ms 7091 is the model number i got when looking inside at the mobo. v1.2 if i remember rightly.
I have looked on both c-media and msi websites and neithr seem to list it anymore.
looks like it will have to be a new stand alone card.
but if anyone knows better please help!
i've always used a generic audio driver on all my PC's and i've never had a problem with it (i'm not saying this is the case for everyone but it is for me)
I use Realtek AC97 drivers. they seem to be pretty universal so give them / it a try and see if that solves your problem.
N.B. You can also get this icon (the red and white cross as described earlier) and error message ("No Audio Output Device is Intalled) if your speakers are not connected to the correct port (usually green)
Hope this helps
Duey
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI