This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How do I reset a Win2K password with no admin PW?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

All: HELP!!!! I was asked by my wife to reset her password to a machine that uses W2K Pro. She forgot the password that she's been using, and then realized she hadn't written it down to store in a safe place. I don't know if there's an admin password, and don't remember what it might be anyway. I reloaded Win2K Pro, and can log on, but have no access to anything that's out there on the hard drive. How can I either A) Reset the forgotten password and reset the admin password, or B) be able to access all that is on the hard drive from the new Win2K Pro load I just did. As seems to be usual, checking on the Microsoft website from another computer (the one I'm using for this message) is not much help. –Tom vonHatten
Howdy, Let me make sure I have everything straight. You have a computer with Windows 2000 installed on it, and a user set up for your wife and an administrator, but you don't know the password for either. Next you reintalled Windows 2000. If you loaded Windows 2000 on the same partition on the hard drive, then there is no data left for you to look at on that partition. Please provide more information and I'll be glad to help. For future reference, there are utilities available for download that you can use to reset the admin password on the local machine if you need to do so.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI