This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Forgot Admin password

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone….. Hope you are all doing well. Please help me with the following. I have an XP computer that my sister has forgotten the admin password. So, she's stuck at the log on screen when the computer boots up. She does not have her win XP professional CD anymore. Does anyone have a work-around for this scenario? How can I get back in without reformatting? Thanks for all your help. Paul
Hello SashimiOnly Although you may have legitmate reasons for this from what I am aware we do not offer support on bypassing passwords as they are there for a reason and this may conflict with the terms of use. Regards
Hey Paul - wizzy is right. While I am sure your intentions are honest, understand the position your request it puts us in. We are here (as volunteers) because we like to help. We want to believe that everyone coming here is honest, and that you really are an active 98 year old computer user. And if true, then I salute you, Sir. But please realize you (someone we don't know) are asking us to help you crack the security features of some computer you just got because you don't know the password.

I assume you don't have the CD Key Code either?

What I see is a lot of innocent folks receiving hand-me-down computers, often when their company upgrades. That's great - much better than the landfill. But unless the software licenses and original CDs come with the hardware, the hard disks should be wiped clean before the computers are handed down.

Sadly, badguys also come to forums seeking help with stolen hardware and pirated software, all with very similar posts (excuses? :() to yours - no password and/or no proof of Windows ownership. I know I don't want to be held legally liable for aiding and abetting, nor does the site, that is why, as wizzy mentioned, it is against the site rules. And for that matter, if you cannot verify ownership of that copy of Windows, your sister has put you in the same position as you put us. Worse, in fact, since your fingerprints are all over it!!! That may sound extreme, but it is reality.

So, bottom line, we cannot help you bypass the password. What I suggest you tell your sister to do is to run, don't walk, but RUN to the nearest computer store, or get on-line NOW, and order a legal copy of Windows XP. I say RUN and NOW because June 30th was the last day Microsoft sold XP and so the last copies are flying off the shelves. I do not recommend upgrading to Vista unless that computer is less than 1 year old, has 2Gb of RAM, good graphics, and you have researched all the hardware components to ensure each maker has a Vista driver.

Alternatively, and for anyone in a hand-me-down situation, either giving or receiving, there are very capable and "FREE" alternatives to Windows with Ubuntu being a favorite an perhaps easiest to setup. And OpenOffice is a great alternative to MS Office anyone familiar with Office will be able to use.
Thanks guys for your feedback. I can certainly agree with site rules and gladly abide by them. I'm not 98 yrs old. It's a typo…. :) I'll fix that error. C-Ya

I'm not 98 yrs old. It's a typo….

Too bad! I hope I'm still able to use a computer (or whatever the latest technologies) when I'm 98.

Thanks for your understanding about the password.
Hi Guys…. I was able to find the Dell Software CD and was able to get back into my system. I used the NUSRMGR.CPL function I had learned. Works great. Thanks again. Paul

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI