This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

IE6 hungapp

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

IE6 hangs after displaying a New Window within an open window using xml. Think I have traced it back to xml. Seems to happen, and very repeatable, when a new window is opened within an open window then closed. New window is accessing same website. IE6 then waits a minute then > 'hour glass' then > 'not responding'. My application is a webpage inside WebCT. All addons disabled ( from safe mode), third party extensions not allowed. Ad-Aware ok, SpyBot, CCleaner OK, cwshredder OK, MicrosoftAntiSpyware OK WinXP home sp2 , IE6 sp2 , all latest Win & IE updates This is what I know: happens every time with certain Word generated html webpage, ie, save as Web Page seems to be associated with 'Autoshapes' debugging this, I found two(2) things I can do to make it "not hang" 1. remove this 2. remove the 'Autoshape line' from doc xmlns refers to a name space used in the body, but that is about the extent of my xml knowledge Do I not have access to something? Is something missing? Is there an error? Happens on my PC & other PCs running XP Pro so this is not isolated event. Occasionally, while debugging, the symptoms just go away. It just stops failing until I close IE then open IE again. I don’t know what is failing so can’t reproduce this consistently. Spent many hours finding this much, so it is time to ask for help from the experts. What is the next step? Dan :blink:
More debug, since removing this code scrap makes problem stop,
??what happens if I remove each name space individually??

xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

+++++++++++++
remove namespace by assign alt name:
xmlns:q="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" no hang
xmlns:q="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" hang after one open
xmlns:X="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" hang after second open

:unsure:
Dan
Well, after downloading the latest group of upates from MS, symptoms have gone away. Guess they found something after all. Dan :D