Dave111
Topic Starter
I have Windows 98 Second Edition. I have always used the standard desktop address toolbar and parked it at the top of my screen. I never had a problem with it until I installed Dave's Quick Desktop Search ( http://www.dqsd.net/ ). This is a very nice app but was just to slow starting up for my taste. So I uninstalled it. It is like the Google Deskbar. When it was installed, I had it at the top of the screen along with the address bar. Now that it is uninstalled, it is still there. The toolbar is now called "Cannot find server" and points to search.htm in the now non-existent program folder of Dave's Quick Desktop Search.
Now, I can close any of my toolbars (I also use the Quick Launch Toolbar) but the problem is that upon reboot they come back again including the Cannot find server toolbar. Also, any settings I change like "Show Title" are not sticky through a reboot.
I have tried many different toolbar settings to see if I can "trick" Windows into getting rid of the Cannot find server toolbar to no avail. I also found a registry value that points to the location of search.htm and deleted it. This caused the address toolbar at the top of the screen to disappear and I could not make it reappear through a reboot. So I restored the registry key. The value is a very long binary value called "Toolbars" that is located at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop] .
I tried reinstalling and uninstalling Dave's Quick Desktop Search. No dice. I also made a dummy search.htm on the path the Cannot find server toolbar points to. Again, no dice.
My guess is that if I had not placed the search toolbar at the top of the screen, I would have had no problems. I also guess that if I could edit the registry value or somehow make Windows pick up the default settings for it, my problem would be solved.
I have run Hijack This thinking there might be something in the log that would be helpful. I didn't see anything that even remotely looked like it had anything to do with my problem. I recognized every entry and none of them had anything to do with Desktop toolbars.
Thanks in advance for any of your ideas.
Now, I can close any of my toolbars (I also use the Quick Launch Toolbar) but the problem is that upon reboot they come back again including the Cannot find server toolbar. Also, any settings I change like "Show Title" are not sticky through a reboot.
I have tried many different toolbar settings to see if I can "trick" Windows into getting rid of the Cannot find server toolbar to no avail. I also found a registry value that points to the location of search.htm and deleted it. This caused the address toolbar at the top of the screen to disappear and I could not make it reappear through a reboot. So I restored the registry key. The value is a very long binary value called "Toolbars" that is located at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop] .
I tried reinstalling and uninstalling Dave's Quick Desktop Search. No dice. I also made a dummy search.htm on the path the Cannot find server toolbar points to. Again, no dice.
My guess is that if I had not placed the search toolbar at the top of the screen, I would have had no problems. I also guess that if I could edit the registry value or somehow make Windows pick up the default settings for it, my problem would be solved.
I have run Hijack This thinking there might be something in the log that would be helpful. I didn't see anything that even remotely looked like it had anything to do with my problem. I recognized every entry and none of them had anything to do with Desktop toolbars.
Thanks in advance for any of your ideas.