This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Restore Toolbar?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This looks and sounds like a simple fix, but something has changed!

I have XP sp3. My comp had a hiccup yesterday, and for some reason all my file toolbars are gone!

It was like this:

[external image: Posted Image]


Now it's like this:

[external image: Posted Image]


I've tried EVERYTHING! I can't get the system to default the toolbars back to any file I open! I can get it by right clicking the mouse then selecting EXPLORE! Then it's back, but only until I close the window. If I reopen it, it's gone! :pullhair:

I've tried all the restore tricks I could find, and read the MS Help data bases, all their recommendations have not restored them.


I had something similar a year ago, I lost all my picture thumbnails! I have no idea what killed them because it just happened from one minute to the next. I found a Reg Edit code that I had to add that brought them back. I suspect I'll need to add to the registry again!

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hi, Try this
1 Right click at the top of the window
2 Select Customise
3 Click on the Reset button
4 Click on OK
Ok your way out
any better?
Regards
paws

Hi, Try this
1 Right click at the top of the window
2 Select Customise
3 Click on the Reset button
4 Click on OK
Ok your way out
any better?
Regards
paws



Thanks for the response! :thumbup:

When I right clk. on the top bar, it only gives me the option to Minimize, maximize, and Close.

If I right clk. in the field, it's just the file options!

I have poked and clicked everything trying to find something I might have missed?? I still can't figure this one out.
Try pressing F11, it toggles the display (between full and normal per press) to increase viewing area when needed, it looks like thats whats happened there.

What do you get if you hold ALT and V and the same time?



I tried this first and the comp. made a burp sound, sound-effect??


Then I tried the F11 and suddenly the toolbar came back!! But it does look a little different:

[external image: Posted Image]


Either way, it's back! Hats off to you gentlemen! ;)

I'm aggravated that I couldn't figure it out, and it turns out to be something rather simple! :smack:


I'll try to see if I can get it to look like before.


Thanks again all! :notworthy:
Nice call 8210GUY!

AntZ,

You should be able to re-arrange your toolbars back to how you are used to them. Place your mouse pointer over the little "bar" just to the left of the Back button. Hold your left mouse button and drag it down the page a little until the file menu snaps back to the top of the page.

F11 is definitely worth a try… but if this is the issue.. he shouldn't see New Volume (E:)

Yeah looked on mine and as you say there is no label there, but that aside it's what I'd expect to see using F11

I'm aggravated that I couldn't figure it out, and it turns out to be something rather simple! :smack:

LOL yeah at times you can look so deep and completely miss the obvious, but we have all done it, thats why places like this exist, so as a group one hopes to get a solution. B)

Nice call 8210GUY!

Well I get lucky at times lol.

But as said dragging the toolbar back to the places you want them is the way to go, but you will need to unlock the toolbar first (right click select unlock), at least on mine I do, then lock when done, and under right click you can check\uncheck items you want to show, or not show.
But can you recall what you were doing when this first happened ?
I'm just concerned over the label showing in full screen mode, probably wont hurt to run mbam just to see if there may be anything in the background, but hopefully it will show nothing, and the system just had a mini melt down that caused it lol.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI