This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

General security/privacy question

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have windows 7. In the event of my laptop being stolen/lost, if I have a strong user account password how hard is it for someone to still access my files.

 

I've been thinking about getting a third party folder locking app but I'm just wondering if it's really necessary, especially after reading some reviews on a few of those free apps with comments about disappearing files, password problems etc.

to be honest if they have your laptop then it is very easy to access your files regardless of how strong a user password your using.

 

the best way that i know of to secure your files is to encrypt the hard drive or files like you've been thinking about.

best way to not lose files/data is to have good backups, at least 2 copies on different medium, and make sure you backup on a regular schedule.

 

here's a some links to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_encryption

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025462/how-to-encrypt-almost-anything.html

http://lifehacker.com/a-beginners-guide-to-encryption-what-it-is-and-how-to-1508196946

 

:popcorn:

I am aware of bitlocker but I've only got windows 7 basic.

 

On a different topic but still related to windows, something's driving me nuts. I've got my external hard-drive connected to my main pc but when I try to safely disconnect it tells me that some app or program is running on it and I can't find what it is.

 

Had a look at the task manager and there are no apps active. There are dozens of processes running but how to tell which one is coming from the external drive? I could pull out the connection but I like to do it properly. Any help is very much appreciated.

Hi Huetj, it could be any number of things and its not easy to track down….

 

The procedure we adopt with customer's computers/external hard drives/memory sticks etc( where we cannot afford even a slight risk of data loss) is to simply wait until its time to close down the computer and when its fully shut down  then its Ok to unplug the external hard drive or other device.

Regards

paws

If your laptop gets stolen, nobody is really interested in what's on your hard drive as I'm sure you don't keep bank account or credit card passwords etc. on it.

 

What will happen  most  likely, is that it will re-appear for sale on e-bay, with the laptop wiped and a hacked W7 Utimate (doing the rounds everywhere it seems) installed.

 

Just have a look at the second-hand laptops with W7 Ultimate installed on them. :smack:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI