This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

So Very Slow

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks for the info on the 09 stuff. I ran Bitdefender again and there were no problems. I was missing a critical update for Windows, but I have downloaded it. I still need to download a critical update for Office, but the installer says its going to take 3 hours, so I'll do it later (when no one else needs to get online).

I will definitely consider installing some of the programs suggested in "How did I get infected in the first place"

Everything else seems to be running fine now. Thank you so much for all of your help, Dgosling! :D
WAIT!!! Windows Update is asking me to download the same Critical Update I know I downloaded earlier today. It's the update for Windows Media Player Script Commands (KB828026). It took 30 minutes to install the first time, and I re-booted the machine afterwards. When I went back a few minutes ago, it still had this Update listed, so I tried to do it again. This time it took 2 minutes to install. I re-booted again, and now the Updater is still telling me that I have to install this update!

Any idea what's going on? Why is this thing not installing? Does it have anything to do with System Restore?

Here's my HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:13:09 AM, on 6/6/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYNAPTICS\SYNTP\SYNTPLPR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYNAPTICS\SYNTP\SYNTPENH.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRPCUI.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DELL\RESOLUTION ASSISTANT\COMMON\BIN\RXMON9X.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IRMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARKX73\ACMONITOR_X73.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARKX73\ACBTNMGR_X73.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MESSENGER\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTFMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\D-LINK\D-LINK DWL-650 CONTROL UTILITY\CONFIG.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY HANDHELD\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSFTSN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0\AOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0\WAOL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0\AOLWBSPD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\ADWARE2\HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRPCMonitor] PRPCUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RxMon] C:\Program Files\Dell\Resolution Assistant\Common\bin\RxMon9x.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MadExe] C:\PROGRAM FILES\DELL\RESOLUTION ASSISTANT\COMMON\BIN\LaunchRA.exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IrMon] irmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X73 Button Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X73.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X73 Button Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X73.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] Lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexmarkPrinTray] PrinTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\msmsgs.exe /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Resolution Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell\Resolution Assistant\MotiveAssistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: Configuration Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link DWL-650 Control Utility\Config.exe
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert for CLIÉ - C:\Program Files\Sony\Image Converter\menu.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Dell Home - {EE117DAA-A30B-40FC-945C-38AE1B80C1FA} - http://www.dellnet.com (file missing) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.dellnet.com
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - http://www.amiuptodate.com/vsc/bin/1,0,0,7…pdatePortal.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m…,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/oscan8.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

Sorry about this; I bet you were looking forward to getting rid of me by now. :lol:
The log is still clean.

I suspect the problem with Windows update is the fact that it is not registering in the file it keeps on your system telling you what has been updated, and what has not. To see a list of updates already installed on your computer, go to the Windows Update Web site(http://www.microsoft.com/). In the left pane, under Other Options, click View installation history. That should tell you if it registered at the website that you downloaded it. If there are other users on this computer, you may need to install it for all users.

Windows keeps a record of what it installs for updates on your system in either of two places or both.

Go to Start > Run and in the run box type msinfo32.exe and your system information window will open. Expand the lists on the left until you find the section for updates. (this is for 98/ME). Look in the list for (KB828026) and make sure it is there.

If it is in the list then it has indeed been downloaded and installed. If not there, then Windows Update may be telling you the truth.

Another place to look is in Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add Remove programs. At the bottom of the list of programs you have on your system may be a list of WIndows updates with their KB numbers. Check there for (KB828026).

I would check both places for the information, as it could be in either place.

This would have nothing to do with System Restore unless you have restored since we fixed the computer. In fact at this point now that you are completely clean I would reset System Restore again, following the instructions above.

Any questions?
The View Installation History lists this update as having been installed four times. The first was 5/20 (when I installed all of the other critical updates). There were the two times yesterday, and again today (I tried it again this morning).

It wasn't listed in Add/Remove Programs. And I don't see "Updates" in any of the lists in msinfo32.exe. There's Hardware Resources, Components, Software Environment, Internet Explorer and Office 10 Applications: "Updates" isn't listed under any of them.
I should have told you that I was going from memory of 98SE and XP where they list their updates on a hardrive. I have never used Windows ME. In 98 SE in msinfo32 it was under one of the main sections and I think that was 'Software Environment' but can't be sure. You may be able to get some help with this one from MS. I would go to the windows update website and then go Microsoft Online Assisted Support (free for Windows Update) and tell them about the problem with their website not recording that the update has been downloaded and installed. They should be able to help you with that.

I would go to the windows update website and then go Microsoft Online Assisted Support (free for Windows Update) and tell them about the problem with their website not recording that the update has been downloaded and installed.  They should be able to help you with that.

173705


:rofl: I would have gotten more support if I had asked my cat for help! When I finally spoke to a human being, I was told that it was a Dell problem, and that I should contact them. Dell told me it was a Microsoft problem, and that I should contact them! Then the Microsoft person's suggestion was to re-install Windows (and there's no way I'm going to go through that horrible experience again!).

The Office updates I needed downloaded and installed last night with no problems, so this machine is capable of accepting updates. I'm just going to assume that the file installed properly when I downloaded it the first time, and that this is just some Windows update glitch that'll fix itself when another critical update comes along.

Anyway, thanks again, Dgosling! You've been a huge help! :D
I am sorry you had so much trouble between Dell and MS. I have always had good luck when I have emailed them about a problem with Windows Update.

I am glad to hear your computer is functioning well now!

Glad we were able to help you. This topic is now closed.


If you need this topic reopened because of continued malware problems, please request this by sending an email to the following link
(Click for address)

Please make the subject of the Email: "Reopen" and provide a valid link to this post in the body. Your username and your reason for requesting a reopen should also be included.



Any emails which do not include all of the above will be deleted without being looked at.



If this is thread was not started by you, please start a New Topic. Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI