This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue Screen Blues

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hardware: Dell Dimension 8300 OS: Windows xp Home SP2 Computer went blue screen with the following information RDR_FILE_SYSTEM *** Stop: 0x00000027 (0XBAAD009C, 0xF7F444D4, 0xF7F441D0, 0xF834F208) *** PWD_2k.SYS - ADRESS F834F208 base at F834D000, DateStamp 3e36fd10 Powered down manually (held down power switch) Powered up hitting f8 key and selected reboot. Volume is Dirty chkdsk fixed a few things in step 2 then completed its process. Upon reboot I was able to get to user account selection screen. Pop up indicated a problem with Norton antivirus not being able to be activated and another screen indicated that windows was unable to load user account while the "loading personal prefferences" message was being displayed. Computer locked up at that point and eventually went back to blue screen. can you help. Jim
PWD_2k.sys is a packet writing driver. From your error message it seems that this is the problem. What CD burning software do you have installed? Was this installed just recently? Can you boot into Safe Mode? Can you boot into a Last Known Good Configuration?
I have roxio for CD burning that came installed on the computer. In addition Dell Movie Studio’s is installed and also came with the computer. I have tried booting into both Safe Mode and Last Known and neither was successful. I did have a problem with shutting down about two weeks ago. My printer application hung and the computer was waiting for me to respond to the “Application not responding End Now?”. I had walked away from the computer and it ended up staying in that state until the next morning at which time, I was forced to power down manually. When the computer restarted it went blue screen. I ended up having to go through the reboot selection and the problem ultimately was cleared. Don’t know if the issues are related but thought the information might help.
I tried that but the system didn't seem to recognize that the cd was there. I tried both the cd and dvd slots and just powered up the computer. I don't remember now if there is a "boot from disc" option in the F8 menu and didn't look last night. Maybe I should have.
You might have to change the Boot Sequence in your BIOS to have it boot from the CD first instead of the hard drive.
Did change the bios settings and was able to get the computer to boot from the cd. Strange thing happend though. I selected the second option (fix existing install?) and was asked for an admin password. The system would not recognize my password and I am the only user with admin privilages. So I exited, powered down and set the bios back to boot from c: drive. Then tried to run in "Safe" mode. Remember, I hadn't been able to get to "Safe" mode previously. This time I was able to get to Safe mode and loged on as Administrator vs my account which still would not work. There was no password required for the Administrator. I was able to use system restore to get the system back to a config from three weeks ago and that solved the problem. Questions: When I booted from the cd it appeared that the cd loaded a large number of files prior to asking me for the admin password. Since I didn't have a valid password nothing further was done. Did loading all of those files fix my problem to the extent that I could finally boot into SAFE mode? And why didn't my admin password work? Thnanks very much for your assistance. I was getting a very sinking feeling for a while. Jim
Its possible the files loaded when you put the CD in "fixed" something enough for you to get into Safe Mode. As for your Admin password not working… have no idea why it didn't. Were you using the password for the actual Admin account, or your own account password? You would need to use the password from the Admin account for it to work.
Didn't know that there was an admin account other than mine. The admin account that I used when I booted to safe mode was new to me and did not require me to enter a password. If you're busy don't wory about responding. I'll figure it out but do you know how I would go about establishing a pw for that admin acct? Thanks very much again for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI