This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

IE/Google takeover

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm running Windows 98. Internet explorer opens itself and displays random advertising. At one point I had AZE Search but was able to get rid of it. I think the persistant problem I have now is a leftover and I can't find where it's hiding. I tried updating IE from the Microsoft web site and would get the message that the update was successul. The only thing is that the install seemed way to quick and when I ran the update again the same patches would appear in the list as if not previously installed. Now when I maximize IE it won't fill up the screen.

Also, a process named 'Wo' (Web Offers) kept executing, I think I finally got rid of that one.

Another that I haven't seen come back yet is getting caught by Norton Antivirus. It was trying to write to a file in my root directory as N20030302.exe I believe was the name of the file.

I ran Ad-aware and Spybot in safe mode. When I ran them in windows Ad-aware would always error out before finishing and Spybot would sometimes do the same.

My HijackThis log file is as follows:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:33:44 PM, on 04/30/2005
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGLOOP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSG32.EXE
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\3dmoused.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\POPROXY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOL SPYWARE PROTECTION\AOLSP SCHEDULER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\RAM BOOSTER\RAMBOOSTER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NETROPA\ONSCRE~1\OSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NIKON\NKVIEW6\NKVMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\1033\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\OPTIMUM ONLINE\NETSURF.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0A\WAOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0A\SHELLMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 8.0A\AOLWBSPD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ipxaxpri.slt\prefs.js)
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 www.google.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 google.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 www.google.co.uk
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 google.co.uk
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 www.google.ca
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 google.ca
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 www.google.es
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 google.es
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 www.google.de
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 google.de
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 www.google.fr
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 google.fr
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 www.google.com.au
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.11 google.com.au
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.14 www.yahoo.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.14 yahoo.com
O1 - Hosts: 66.218.75.184 mail.yahoo.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.12 www.msn.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.12 msn.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.12 search.msn.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.12 www.go.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.12 go.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.13 astalavista.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.13 www.astalavista.com
O1 - Hosts: 69.50.166.13 astalavista.box.sk
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Primax 3-D Mouse] 3dmoused.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton eMail Protect] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\POProxy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [EncMonitor] C:\Program Files\Encompass\Monitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RamBooster] C:\PROGRAM FILES\RAM BOOSTER\RAMBOOSTER.EXE
O4 - Startup: America Online Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: NkvMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Frame in &New Window - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\frm2new.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Highlight - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\highlight.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Links List - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\urllist.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Zoom &In - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\zoomin.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Zoom O&ut - C:\WINDOWS\WEB\zoomout.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: I&mages List - C:\WINDOWS\Web\imglist.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O16 - DPF: {85F2A370-83E6-11D2-915B-00A024D651E7} - http://mcafee.www.conxion.com/molbin/Clini…can/MgAvDat.cab
O16 - DPF: {39C58713-5579-11D2-A011-006097311D88} - http://mcafee.www.conxion.com/molbin/Clini…can/MgAvCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {4248083C-9656-11D2-8B7F-00105A17847A} - http://downloads.mplayer.com/MplayerStub.exe
O16 - DPF: {6C636F50-7EB2-11D2-883C-CA8C113EA37E} - http://mcafee.www.conxion.com/molbin/Clini…ean/MGqcctl.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! PageBuilder - http://pagebuilder.yahoo.com/members/tools…code/client.cab
O16 - DPF: {E09F6B38-3A0D-11D3-B5E7-0008C7BF61F2} - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/npmusicn.cab
O16 - DPF: ChatSpace Java Client 2.1.0.84L - http://about.chatspace.com/Java/cs4msl084.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…t/c381/chat.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200203…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {54771E6F-A5A2-4413-8FB8-7B8F85398174} - http://dl.lygo.com/Sidesearch/en_US/insite/Sidesearch.cab
O16 - DPF: {AB29A544-D6B4-4E36-A1F8-D3E34FC7B00A} - http://install.wildtangent.com/bgn/partner…ise/install.cab
O16 - DPF: Fortune Bingo by pogo - http://superbingo.pogo.com/applet/superbin…o-ob-assets.cab
O16 - DPF: {0335A685-ED24-4F7B-A08E-3BD15D84E668} - http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/128985-NZIL/PhPSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: Phlinx by pogo - http://flinger.pogo.com/applet-5.9.1.28/fl…r-ob-assets.cab
O16 - DPF: {C02226EB-A5D7-4B1F-BD7E-635E46C2288D} (Toontown Installer ActiveX Control) - http://download.toontown.com/sv1.0.13.21/ttinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net


Any assistance would be appreciated.
Hi bazangare! I'm 'KotaGuy. Welcome to TomCoyote! If you still require assistance, could you please post a new HijackThis log. It has been a few days since you've posted and something might have changed since then. Thanks!
Thanks anyway, but I already took care of it yesterday. After 5 days no one responded to my request so I restored my applications from the disks that came with the PC. After a few hours of downloading the Microsoft updates and patches and reloading a few of my programs, the system is running better than before. I guess a good flushing doesn't really hurt. Only a few of my programs stopped running which I'm reloading as I find them. Most are still running fine. One question I do have, I removed the Google references with HijackThis before the restore and found that I can't access Google's main page. That is the only IE glitch I have. How do I restore this? I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks
Try downloading and running Hoster. Extract the file to its own directory. Double click it. Press the Restore Original Hosts button.

Reboot and try to access Google.
I am closing this topic as it has been resolved.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI