This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

OK, glad to know it's finally running half way decent.

Here's what I like to do after a problem like this and this should be part of your regular maintenance.

Make sure you clean up all the temp files frequently , I like this program: CCleaner
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner.html

Download and install it.

Run it, on the Windows Page, Internet Explorer, check 'temporary internet files'

System > check 'empty recycle bin' and 'temporary files'
Applications > nothing checked

Issues > nothing checked

Go to Options on top > Settings > uncheck everything

Then hit the 'analyze button' to see what's being deleted and then 'run cleaner'

NOTE: You can also add what ever you want to be deleted, that's up to you, but what I suggest is a must.
Do this for all users
—————————————————–

Clean up the registry:
I use RegCleaner, link below
http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/…-cleaner4.3.htm

Download and install it.
Click on the RegCleanr.exe
Tools (at the top) > Registry Cleanup > Do Them All
Then 'Select' (at top left) > choose ALL
'Remove Selected" (at bottom right)
A backup of all that was removed will be made, just choose 'Backups' (top right) to view them, you can delete them when you're confident they're no longer needed.

—————————————————————-

Finally run defrag:
Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter
Here's an excellent alternative tool - Diskeeper Lite
http://www.webattack.com/get/dkeeperlite.shtml



Here's my…….

Preventive maintenance:

——————Must have or do:—————–

Now that you're clean: <—-Important Step!!!!
Delete your system restore files and create a new restore point:
(ME and XP users only)

XP system restore

ME system restore


Visit Windows Update and install all the lastest critical updates.

Install these two free programs, they sit in the backround and protect your system from spy and adware being installed on your system, also from your browser being hijacked. Check for updates weekly.

SpywareBlaster

SpywareGuard


IE-SPYAD
Puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
IE-SPYAD

SpyBot has some protection benefits - use them.

Need a free anti virus?
AVG*free
(check for updates - daily)

How about a firewall? The front door to your computer.
ZoneAlarm*free



———-Free malware removal programs:———-

SpyBot
AD-Aware
CW-Shredder

Free Online Trojan Scan

A SQUARED FREE TROJAN SCANNER

Trojan Hunter
TrojanHunter - free trial

Please consider using FireFox instead of Internet Explorer

Replace Java with SunJava

Pop-up stoppers:
GoogleToolBar
Pop-upStopperFree

Don't open e-mail attachments without first scanning them with an up-to-date
anti virus program, even after doing that I would be very careful. Don't click on any executables in e-mails or any other links that you're not sure of.
Watch your surfing habits, don't click on or download anything you're not sure of. Don't install a program that hasn't been recommended by a reputable organization.

Good luck and thanks for using the forum - MrC
:wavey:
Thanks for the information. One last thing, I can't enable the Auto-Protect feature in Norton Anti-Virus. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bryan
Thanks for the info. It's a friends computer, so I'll need to get the NAV disk from him before I work with fixing that problem. I upgraded to SP2 and all the other available updates, but the option for tuning on Automatic Updates is still grayed out. Any thoughts on how to fix it? I looked on Microsoft's website and wasn't able to come up with anything that helped. Bryan
Thanks, that link worked. The only thing left is a DSL issue that I'm working through. I have a cable modem at my house and connected through my network while I was working on it. Now that it is back at his house, it can't connect to the internet. I've tried the troubleshooting tips, re-booted the modem and re-installed the software to no avail. I guess the next step is to call their customer service. Thanks again, Bryan
OK, glad you made out OK.

I did respond to you about the connection problem, but some how it has disappeared.

Good Luck, MrC
As this problem has been resolved the topic will be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

The subject of the email must be
"Reopen". Include your post username and details about why you need it reopened, with a valid link to your post.

Thanks, MrC

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI