Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93093 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows XP all messed up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cas1

cas1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:35 AM

I'm pretty sure I need to reinstall Windows at this point but I don't have a CD (it's a Dell) so I'll have to get one. Here are my problems, please let me know if it's beyond repair. Not a big deal but maybe there's an easy fix. I used a free virus tool to remove a virus (I think it was called about.blank virus if I remember right). The tool removed my ability to see any background on my desktop - all I can see is any color I set, but I cannot see any pictures. Actually, I can see the picture very briefly on start up, but it immediately goes away. Not a big deal if it's not an easy fix. Next problem, I was having issues with automatic updates so I went to the Microsoft page and forced the updates (downloaded to pc and then installed them). Since then, I have the yellow shield in the corner telling me that updates are ready to install but they are the same updates I've already installed. If I try to install them from Windows updates, they are still listed as critical updates but the size of the files are 0 KB. So of course if I attempt to reinstall them I get an error. The updates I'm talking about are: Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB978262) and Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB978207) Latest problem - I'm having an issue with my printer that was working before and just stopped working. The error message I'm getting is "Device Installer Error" " Windows could not load the installer for volume. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance". I'm guessing that something became corrupt along the way. If I need to reinstall Windows, then that's okay, but I'm not even sure how to do that. I've reformatted older systems and reinstalled the operating system but I have no clue how to do that with XP. I appreciate any help! :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

The tool you used may not of been the most effective one, and could well of added to the issue, but if your that messed up you probably are netter off with a clean reinstall, because even if you remove the infection(s) you can have residual damage like you have, and tracking that down and repairing it can be a nightmare, but in future it may be better to ask the pro's on the best removal method, they "may" have a better way to deal with it minimising damage.

Anyway all that said if your up for a reinstall, new(er) systems have the system files on the hard drive already (often a hidden partition), so should such a restore be needed it can easily be achieved, with a Dell I believe it requires pressing Ctrl + F11 during boot, what you want to do is a complete PC Restore (scroll down a little to that section), needless to say back up essential files etc, and remove external devices.

If you read the entire link from the top it shows how to, once done reboot and start the procedure, now given your doing this after an infection, I suggest when\if you're asked to select a destructive restore, this will wipe any residual infection(s), but 1 important note, do NOT go to add anything back to the system until you have loaded and updated the protection or you may infect yourself again before you start, also scan the files (if you saved them from this system prior) before entering them incase they contain infection themselves, hope this helps.

Braindead

#3 cas1

cas1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

I actually just found a copy of XP from another pc in my house. Before I reinstall Windows, can I try to repair it with the CD? Do you lose all your files anyway when doing a repair? I'd rather try that first than reload everything (I have a lot of drivers and stuff I'll have to reload).

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

Repair Install

You will not lose your data or installed drivers unless something goes wrong. Usually doesn't but if I were you I'd make sure my important data was backed up first.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:26 AM

The only thing worth a mention here is as you're doing this due to an infection(s) it may be worth getting a check up from the pro's just to check you're clean first, no point trying to repair it if you are still infected, or it will just add to the frustration, hope it goes well for you.

Braindead