1839LJ
Topic Starter
Hi there
My other halfs PC wouldn't boot WINXP = missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system
After a while of head scratching I found that someone! (prob 1 of the g/kids) had put a boot up disc in the floppy drive!!!!!!!
I tried the safe recovery mode but this didn't work, it asked for "an automated recovery disc" which I didn't have! The only way I could get the machine to start again was by re-installing WINXP BUT putting it in another file (WINDOWS2")
All the data stored is still there (phew) and I had to re-install a few progs but other than that is OK.
On the C drive is WINDOWS & WINDOWS2 but the first has lots more file/folders in than the the second!
At boot up I have the choice of which version I want to boot to.
I have since tried booting to the old one but get the same error message?
My question is "how do I now fix the problem and get back to running with just one XP on the machine?"
Many thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Jan
My other halfs PC wouldn't boot WINXP = missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system
After a while of head scratching I found that someone! (prob 1 of the g/kids) had put a boot up disc in the floppy drive!!!!!!!
I tried the safe recovery mode but this didn't work, it asked for "an automated recovery disc" which I didn't have! The only way I could get the machine to start again was by re-installing WINXP BUT putting it in another file (WINDOWS2")
All the data stored is still there (phew) and I had to re-install a few progs but other than that is OK.
On the C drive is WINDOWS & WINDOWS2 but the first has lots more file/folders in than the the second!
At boot up I have the choice of which version I want to boot to.
I have since tried booting to the old one but get the same error message?
My question is "how do I now fix the problem and get back to running with just one XP on the machine?"
Many thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Jan