This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

In The Interest Of Privacy....

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Can anyone help me rid my full name from my computer? When I got my computer a few years ago I was horrified that the computer company had set it all up using my first and last name. They have placed this info in the 'owner' of the computer and also named a folder in Documents and Settings. Who knows where else. I've always hated it, knowing that my full name is appearing on thousands of cookies, but after fixing my computer over the past few days with the help LDTate analyzing my HijackThis log and giving fantastic advice,..I've not only learned so much more about computer threats, I've also become a little more paranoid about my name being there. Am I just being silly,..or is this a wise thing to do??
Hi, try this: Right click on my computer and select properties,click on network identification then on properties, enter a name,(i use my initials only, you could actually enter anything)click ok.
Hi Shelf Life and thankyou. I have done that,..but unfortunately I also have in my Documents and Settings folder,..a folder named with my first and last name. I have tried to rename this to something such as just my initials perhaps but of course it being a windows file, it wont allow me to rename it. I just hate having my full name on my computer,..just a touch of paranoia setting in. :blink:

Also,…how do I change it so that the windows logon screen doesn't have my first and last name. I now use 'Admin' as my preferred user profile but everytime the logon comes up at startup,..it still has my first and last name and I have to change it to admin each time to start up windows. I cannot figure out how to change it so that 'Admin' is in the logon box so that I can get it to logon automatically.

Sorry for being such a dooofus,..can't get my head around this problem for some reason.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not so PoorsickPC
look here: start>settings>control panel>Users and passwords. you can add/change users policy etc. becarful if decide to delete something. if you click on the advanced tab then the advanced button, at the top there is a question mark that will open a help file.

Documents and Settings folder,..a folder named with my first and last name

thats all tied to your user account, i dont think this would be deleted even if you deleted or renamed it in the user/password panel.

before you do anything, unless your confident, let me play around with this on my w2k box. i will create/delete/rename some user accounts
I have to admit,..I have never understood how the User/password feature works. On this home computer we just turn the computer on and that's it. (though it now waits till I change to the user 'Admin' in the Windows Logon screen). When I go to start>settings>control panel>Users and passwords, the user profile folder that has my full name on it doesn't appear there, so cannot make changes. I can only find it in the Documents and Settings folder. Thanks for your help,..I really appreciate it. poorsickpc
hi,

well i had something to try but after re-reading your post it seems it may not work.

When I go to start>settings>control panel>Users and passwords, the user profile folder that has my full name on it doesn't appear there


does your log in name appear there? do you use something else when you log on the computer. you should recognize it under users/ passwords?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI